Why Beltre, why??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Beltre, why???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikemcj55 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:43 pm

Coincidentally, there was recently a cafe post concerning rotoman's comments about Beltre's struggles.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=139427

I certainly don't think he's struggling because he has to learn "some pride." He's always been an extremely hyped professional baseball player, with a lot of expectations. Maybe its a mental toughness issue, but I don't know if the pressure is any higher in Seattle (probably much lower) than in LA, so that wouldn't explain why he did so well last year versus this year.
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:05 pm

jzfran wrote:He's sitting on FA in my league and no nes picking him up.

Ditto.... and I'm the one that dropped him.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:10 pm

Tokugawa wrote:I don't buy the contract year stuff, the hitting coach stuff, the injury-helped him stuff etc etc etc

Steroids are the only explanation:

Last year 48 homers, previous best 23 in 2003, this year on for 15
Last year ave. .334, previous best .290 in 2000, this year .244.

The jumps he made last year compared to previous years are ridiculous however the guy has always had talent and therefore I was willing to beleive that it had just finally all come together but then 2005 rolls around, and the guy flat out stinks.

Obviously he has the pressure of a big contract, new fans to please, new pitchers to work out, but quite a few players have changed leagues and not struggled as much as Beltre.

Part of his extra struggles are probably due to the fact that he lacks the confidence that the steroids gave him as well.

I don't think he will continue to struggle as much as he has up until now for the rest of the season, but it is highly unlikely that he will return to the player he was last year.

I don't know how you can deduce steroids use as a reason but... It's more likely that he had his career year in 04 with everything going right for him. With the new team, changing leagues, and additional pressure to perform are the cause for reverting back to his old self.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:47 pm

Ahh, let's see....the year before his contract is up, ie his contract year, he juices and does a Bret Boone jump from medicority (at best) to stud....gets his big payoff in the offseason and goes off the roids for 05, thus revertign back to form (ie suckitude) like he did prior to 04 and like Boone has done since he got off the juice. I fail to understand what the big mystery is here. Many here and elsewhere were raising red flags about Beltre well before the season started.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Why Beltre, why???

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:27 am

mikemcj55 wrote:I just traded for this guy, in hopes of a big turn around.

I know there are definitely some Beltre haters here at the cafe, but Im curious to hear the arguments. Beltre is a slow starter, (conceededly not usually this slow) according to his splits, he has consistently gotten better in July, August, and September. Also, with him switching leagues, some of his putrid start can be attributed to new pitchers, team adjustments, and the superior pitching of the AL West (j/k), etc.
However, the one allegation I've heard several times is that he was on the juice last year. To me this just doesn't make sense. Do people think he just started juicing last year? He's been in the league for five years, been playing baseball for a long time, and for one year, a year shrouded in steroid controversy, a super talent STARTS taking steroids?

Everyone recognizes the guy is a great talent, and it is pretty hard to have a season like he did last year as a fluke. But I haven't followed his career closely enough, nor do I pretend to have any talent evaluation skills.

Just wondering what Beltre lovers/haters thoughts were on his projections for this season and beyond and why. Thanks.

Simple for me. He had a fantastic year last year, but there was absolutely no reason to believe it would continue into this year. Nothing to suggest he could do it again, or even get close. Went from a total bust, to superstud overnight? I don't think so.

Why did he excel so much last year? Steroids? Wanted a huge contract? New shrink? I have no clue. He did so well that he was ranked way, way too high compared to what I thought he would do this year, so I avoided him in all drafts. I didn't think he'd stink quite this bad, but it's not a big shock either.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:53 am

He's pretty good in MVP Baseball 2005..... :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers