Why Beltre, why??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Beltre, why???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why Beltre, why???

Postby mikemcj55 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:11 pm

I just traded for this guy, in hopes of a big turn around.

I know there are definitely some Beltre haters here at the cafe, but Im curious to hear the arguments. Beltre is a slow starter, (conceededly not usually this slow) according to his splits, he has consistently gotten better in July, August, and September. Also, with him switching leagues, some of his putrid start can be attributed to new pitchers, team adjustments, and the superior pitching of the AL West (j/k), etc.
However, the one allegation I've heard several times is that he was on the juice last year. To me this just doesn't make sense. Do people think he just started juicing last year? He's been in the league for five years, been playing baseball for a long time, and for one year, a year shrouded in steroid controversy, a super talent STARTS taking steroids?

Everyone recognizes the guy is a great talent, and it is pretty hard to have a season like he did last year as a fluke. But I haven't followed his career closely enough, nor do I pretend to have any talent evaluation skills.

Just wondering what Beltre lovers/haters thoughts were on his projections for this season and beyond and why. Thanks.
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:40 pm

When a guy has under-achieved as consistently as Beltre has, then becomes Babe Ruth in his contract year, I think a lot of us remained skeptical about this mental makeup. We wanted to see him do it again. So far, he's demonstrating the value of skepticism pretty clearly.

But, no, for the life of me I couldn't explain why someone who was capable of Triple Crown numbers would settle for mediocrity, contract or no. So this theory may be all wet. Still, glad he's not on my roster.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LouisC9999 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:00 pm

rainman23 wrote:When a guy has under-achieved as consistently as Beltre has, then becomes Babe Ruth in his contract year, I think a lot of us remained skeptical about this mental makeup. We wanted to see him do it again. So far, he's demonstrating the value of skepticism pretty clearly.

But, no, for the life of me I couldn't explain why someone who was capable of Triple Crown numbers would settle for mediocrity, contract or no. So this theory may be all wet. Still, glad he's not on my roster.

Exactly why I avoided him like the plague.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm

rainman23 wrote:When a guy has under-achieved as consistently as Beltre has, then becomes Babe Ruth in his contract year, I think a lot of us remained skeptical about this mental makeup. We wanted to see him do it again. So far, he's demonstrating the value of skepticism pretty clearly.

I think you're completely right here. The contract theory is a load of crud in my opinion, but the guy clearly just isn't mentally tough enough to work/learn to play the game to the best of his abilities. Someone needs to learn him some pride.

Such a disappointing career so far... :-/
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:11 pm

Cooner wrote:

I think you're completely right here. The contract theory is a load of crud in my opinion, but the guy clearly just isn't mentally tough enough to work/learn to play the game to the best of his abilities. Someone needs to learn him some pride.

Such a disappointing career so far... :-/

I have never been this wrong about a player in my entire life. I seriously doubt we will see the 04 Beltre ever again. What a flop. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:20 pm

MLB's director of Stats was recently asked his opinion on Beltre this year. His direct quote: "woof." He did so and madec a historical/statistical analysis but also echoed some of the comments here regarding the mental side of his game.

Guy who owns him in our league (a fairly competitive 12-team) is shopping him like mad and can't find a taker at any price.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:23 pm

d18Mike wrote:MLB's director of Stats was recently asked his opinion on Beltre this year. His direct quote: "woof." He did so and madec a historical/statistical analysis but also echoed some of the comments here regarding the mental side of his game.

Guy who owns him in our league (a fairly competitive 12-team) is shopping him like mad and can't find a taker at any price.

there is no use shopping him because you won't get anything usable in return.

He's a second half performer so I expect him to rebound some. 20 HR, .270 avg is still not out of the question IMO. Hell I'd be happy if he ended up with those numbers at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:27 pm

The longer this season goes, the more I have the feeling that 04 Beltre was just like Brady Anderson's 95? (cant remember) season.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tokugawa » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:09 pm

I don't buy the contract year stuff, the hitting coach stuff, the injury-helped him stuff etc etc etc

Steroids are the only explanation:

Last year 48 homers, previous best 23 in 2003, this year on for 15
Last year ave. .334, previous best .290 in 2000, this year .244.

The jumps he made last year compared to previous years are ridiculous however the guy has always had talent and therefore I was willing to beleive that it had just finally all come together but then 2005 rolls around, and the guy flat out stinks.

Obviously he has the pressure of a big contract, new fans to please, new pitchers to work out, but quite a few players have changed leagues and not struggled as much as Beltre.

Part of his extra struggles are probably due to the fact that he lacks the confidence that the steroids gave him as well.

I don't think he will continue to struggle as much as he has up until now for the rest of the season, but it is highly unlikely that he will return to the player he was last year.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jzfran » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:31 pm

He's sitting on FA in my league and no nes picking him up.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers