anthony reyes placed on DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

anthony reyes placed on DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

anthony reyes placed on DL

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:01 pm

not good news. he has had injury problems in the past but has so far avoided surgery.

Cards' top pitching prospect goes on DL
By Joe Strauss
Of the Post-Dispatch
06/16/2005
Anthony Reyes
Anthony Reyes
(Chris Lee/P-D)

The Memphis Redbirds placed the organization's top pitching prospect, Anthony Reyes, on the disabled list Wednesday because of shoulder tendinitis.

Reyes, 23, skipped a turn after three consecutive difficult starts, then worked five shutout innings in Monday's 9-5 win over the Round Rock Express. Reyes struck out seven while allowing five hits and one walk.

Though the club minimized the significance of Reyes skipping a turn last week, citing only a tired arm, he reportedly was placed on a pitch limit.

Reyes is seventh in the Pacific Coast League with a 2.93 ERA in his second professional season. While with Class A Palm Beach last April, Reyes was placed on the disabled list due to shoulder tendinitis.

in other prospect news from the jim callis chat on espn yesterday--

mike ferris (1b, second round pick last year) is still struggling mightily. its not impossible for him to rebound but at this point not very likely. the comment was that not too many major leaguers have struggled that bad for the first six months of their career and he is supposed to be known for his bat.

wilfredo pujols was probably drafted a few rounds too high but was an intriguing pick. he had his knee scoped so scouts didnt see much of him. i have seen a picture of him. although he is albert's cousin the physical resemblance is uncanny. add that to the fact that he will be training with albert during the offseason and its probably a good gamble.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:21 pm

:-P I just took him in my minor league draft last month. First Sleeth now Reyes.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Well, still have Wainwright (sp?)!! I really hope this isn't serious, as I was looking forward to the Cardinals leaving a 5th spot open for Wainwright and Reyes to compete over.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:31 pm

wainwright has good overall numbers but he has slowed down from his quick start and last time i checked had an era over 6 in his previous three starts. hopefully thats just a hiccup and not related to a hidden injury. i would love to see both of them pitching in the bigs next year but if we could trade one for a good young outfielder i probably wouldnt be too upset.

the good thing about reyes is that while he has been sidetracked by injuries in college and the pros he has avoided going under the knife. hopefully this thing isnt too bad and with a little rest he will be back to his old self.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:23 am

what i have been hearing is the cards were trying to alter reyes mechanics a little to try to get more groundballs which lead to the sore shoulder. i think they are abandoning that idea and just letting him throw now which seems like a good idea.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals