Mesa trade stipulations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mesa trade stipulations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Why would the Marlins want Mesa? Jones is doing a good job right now (yes I realize he sucks in reality and is getting "lucky"), and if Mota straightens himself out, they'll be fine.

The Pirates will probably ask for too much for Mesa, and they won't do it. I think he stays. I've seen this ownership group and managing staff screw stuff up before. They're not going to thrust Gonzalez into the closer role until they have to...especially when he'll come with a higher price tag if he closes. It'll have to wait until next year.

Gammons doesn't always have the answers, either. :-o

(Also, who really cares if he does get traded? It won't be any skin off my back just because I posted otherwise. I'd rather he leave too. B-) )
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tiger spit » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:48 pm

gonzalez will be closing very soon. next 2 weeks id bet.. ;-D
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:00 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Carl (Fla.)
Who wins the Mesa derby? I think the fish could offer more than just Marte if the Bucs are serious about including Lawton.

That would be hot! Lawton and Mesa for Marte + TBA? I'm sold!

I really don't understand why you guys are so down on Mesa. Is he the best thing since sliced bread? No. But he's a 39 year old guy who maybe has (at best) 2 or 3 more years in him. He likes what he's doing, where he's doing it, and he's made more than enough money in his career to keep he and his family happy for the rest of his life.

So what's so wrong with saying there are things more important to him than staying in baseball? The guy has pride- in himself, in his team- and I can respect that. Were Mesa to go back to the Dominican now with the money he has, he could live like a king for the rest of his life.

You all have to remember that these guys are human, and money is not the only motivator for a whole lot of people (especially those who have plenty of it).
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:03 pm

decktard wrote:I don't know the guy personally... but doesn't it make sense. If he's gonna move in the middle of a season... he'd like to work next year too. He doesn't want to have to move to somewhere and be forced to go somewhere else a half year after that. Not to say he deserves any "man of the year" awards or anything like that. But would you move somewhere just to have to be shipped somewhere else? I dunno... maybe for $4 mill... but its hard to say for sure what he's thinking.

As far as being professional and not making demands... in real life when you go get a different job you have a choice. He has a choice too... to say what he wants and quit or move and play wherever they ship him. I see nothing wrong with what he's saying. The choice is his.

You got it ;-D ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:05 pm

I'd be a lot more interested in a Mesa trade if Gonzalez would first rediscover his '04 magic. The way he's throwing now, he'd hardly be an upgrade. Probably end up setting up Torres.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blackbearabroad » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:57 pm

saying a player isn't "profesional" because he makes certian comments is a load of crap. Heck, by definationa the only way a MLB can be defined as not being profesional is to be lacking in skill, which none of them are. So what if Mesa makes demands? eather he gets traded or not, for him the "game" is a buisness, and if he doesn't want to work for his new employer, he will just retire. Although 39 is early for the rest of us, it isn't for a ballplayer
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers