Mesa trade stipulations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mesa trade stipulations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mesa trade stipulations

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:50 am

Apparently he has spelled out the things that have to happen in order for him to get traded...

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:Mesa softens stance on possible trade
Thursday, June 16, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEW YORK -- For nearly two years, closer Jose Mesa has vowed he would retire if the Pirates tried to trade him.

That no longer is the case.

He said yesterday he would accept a trade, but with three conditions:

He wants to remain a closer.

He wants whichever team acquires him to pick up his $4 million option for 2006.

He wants to remain in the eastern United States to stay closer to his home in the Dominican Republic.

If he is not satisfied with all three, he said, he would refuse to report to another team.

"If they wanted to trade me, I don't have a problem with them trading me," Mesa said of the Pirates. "But it's got to be to a team where I can be the closer or a team that can pick up my option before I go. I don't want to go to a team just to help them for one or two months, and then nothing. If I can close and they get my option, and I stay on the East Coast, I've got no problem."

Mesa, 39, does not have a contractual right to refuse a trade. He simply would decline to play.

His name has surfaced in increasing trade speculation of late. Early in the week, the Arizona Republic reported the Diamondbacks had made a priority of acquiring him.

Informed of that, Mesa replied with force: "No West Coast. No matter what team is interested in me, I don't want to go to the West Coast."

Mesa emphasized his revised stance should not be interpreted as wanting to leave the Pirates.

"My preference is to stay in Pittsburgh, no question about it. They've treated me nicely, and they gave me the opportunity to pitch when nobody else would. They've got a lot of respect for me, and I've got a lot of respect for them. I'd love to stay here."

This is why he's not going anywhere...and this is why Mike Gonzalez will not be closing this year...and this is why he'll blow more games for us. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:58 am

Is it possible for a team to guarantee to pick up his option for '06?
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:03 am

Mark my words. Jose Mesa will be traded by July 30th. If you haven't heard such talk from players before and seen them trading anyway, you're not paying attention. It's not like Pittsburgh is picking up his option for 2006 anyway and once he gets convinced of that he's going to calm down and be a professional and stop making demands.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby decktard » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:57 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:once he gets convinced of that he's going to calm down and be a professional and stop making demands.

or maybe he's made enough money in his career that he's content and rather would quit than pick up and leave... crazy... but maybe not everyone in sports is in it just for the cash.
decktard
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:22 am

decktard wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:once he gets convinced of that he's going to calm down and be a professional and stop making demands.

or maybe he's made enough money in his career that he's content and rather would quit than pick up and leave... crazy... but maybe not everyone in sports is in it just for the cash.

I'm sorry but didn't he mention he wanted his $4M option for 2006 picked up? Do you think the Pirates are doing that? You're giving him too much credit. And it's really better to quit and turn down $4M than pick up and leave? That's admirable... I really admire a guy who is so loaded from playing friggin' baseball for a living that he can just turn down $4M because he has to move to the west coast. Mesa can Kiss ME :-° What a Hero, Three Cheers for him!
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby decktard » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:29 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
decktard wrote:

I'm sorry but didn't he mention he wanted his $4M option for 2006 picked up? Do you think the Pirates are doing that? You're giving him too much credit. And it's really better to quit and turn down $4M than pick up and leave? That's admirable... I really admire a guy who is so loaded from playing friggin' baseball for a living that he can just turn down $4M because he has to move to the west coast. Mesa can Kiss ME :-° What a Hero, Three Cheers for him!

I don't know the guy personally... but doesn't it make sense. If he's gonna move in the middle of a season... he'd like to work next year too. He doesn't want to have to move to somewhere and be forced to go somewhere else a half year after that. Not to say he deserves any "man of the year" awards or anything like that. But would you move somewhere just to have to be shipped somewhere else? I dunno... maybe for $4 mill... but its hard to say for sure what he's thinking.

As far as being professional and not making demands... in real life when you go get a different job you have a choice. He has a choice too... to say what he wants and quit or move and play wherever they ship him. I see nothing wrong with what he's saying. The choice is his.
decktard
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Area51's » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:32 am

I would be surprised if this just wasn't posturing to try and gain as much control as possible, even though he doesn't have a no-trade clause. By him saying "no west coast teams" its probable that any that were interested in him (and I don't think the need came from the west much, other than Arizona) would back off a bit.

Joe Table also said he would hit, kill, eat, maim(etc) Omar V. the next time he saw him, and that didn't happen......

Joe's a proud dude, and likes to posture and proclaim. You'd have to have some stones closing games that long (and with some of the junk he throws!).

I think this will stop some teams from trying to grab him, but in no way does this STOP the trade, or guarantee he'll get all of the 3 things he wants.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:47 am

Area51's wrote:I would be surprised if this just wasn't posturing to try and gain as much control as possible, even though he doesn't have a no-trade clause. By him saying "no west coast teams" its probable that any that were interested in him (and I don't think the need came from the west much, other than Arizona) would back off a bit.

Joe Table also said he would hit, kill, eat, maim(etc) Omar V. the next time he saw him, and that didn't happen......

Joe's a proud dude, and likes to posture and proclaim. You'd have to have some stones closing games that long (and with some of the junk he throws!).

I think this will stop some teams from trying to grab him, but in no way does this STOP the trade, or guarantee he'll get all of the 3 things he wants.

I agree completely. If anything, he's just killed his trade value. I'd be shocked if he is traded this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:01 pm

I think Joe Table is doing a great job of killing his trade value, absolutely. (And I love that you call him Joe Table, that's good stuff :-D )

But it doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. I just think he should be professional and if he really wants someone to pick up his option for 2006 he should stop making demands like his doody doesn't smell. If he wants to stay on the east coast so bad and won't go anywhere else, I hope he realizes that he's resigned to the fact that he may be choosing that over his 2006 option. I just think he wants both and isn't going to get it. It's good to see he's softening his stance, it's obviously posturing on his part, and it was predictable that he would do so. I think he'll soften even more and eventually get traded to someone who at least tells him that they'll pick up his option. Bottom line, it doesn't make sense for Pittsburgh to keep him if they aren't going to sign him next year and I think it's likely that they won't. They'll try to get something for him since he has some value right now and since it's either trading him and getting something in return or losing him for nothing I'm going with the trade. You guys go with whatever you want but put a gun to your head and say that you don't think Pittsburgh will try to trade this guy before you go blasting me. Someone will take him off Pittsburgh's hands on the cheap, tell him what he wants to hear, do what they want with him regardless of what he wants, because that's the business of baseball. If anything, Joe Table is screwing the Pirates by killing his trade value. Nice work JosB. You're a real man.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:29 pm

From The ESPN Sportsnation chat about 10 minutes ago...

Carl (Fla.)
Who wins the Mesa derby? I think the fish could offer more than just Marte if the Bucs are serious about including Lawton.

PETER GAMMONS
I think the Marlins will win Mesa. They were willing to give up two outstanding prospects for Urbina, so I think they will be willing to pay for Mesa.

Keep posting that he's not going to get traded. And keep believing it's not going to happen. You'll be sorry. He's gone in a month.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers