100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Let's talk hardware

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:59 pm

nuggets wrote:
acsguitar wrote:$550?? Yea good deal!

I am so sorry, I messed up, it's $850. :,-(

Its not that bad for all the stuff you got with it. If it is an eMachines, which I think it is based on all the stuff it has in it, then I think its just an OK deal. You didn't get screwed.

I got the same exact eMachines CPU, but I got the AMD 3200 processor instead. I got a monitor and printer for $500.

As to having the 64bit. I just don't see the need for them right now and especially in your case. When the Longhorn comes out it will be running off of a lot higher specs as previously stated and even if thats the norm in 2 years, your computer won't be the norm. You will have to spend hundreds of bucks to get your computer up to all those specs.

I think the 64bit right now is someone of a hoax. It's not going to hurt you, but you are paying premium on something you can't even use to its capacity and therefore you are paying more for the same performance 32bit users are using.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby denny_32 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:02 pm

I'm a Microsoft Developer Network subscriber and have been running Longhorn for a little over a month now. It looks a little different than XP, but the overall feel for it is about the same.

As for the specs, even as a tester, I haven't had seen anything that is set in stone. I am running a machine pretty close to the one Rkiivs has.

3200+ AMD 64 processor
1 - 160 GB HDD
1 - 200 GB HDD
DVD +/- 16x burner
full GB of RAM (dual channel)

I haven't had any lag when using Loghorn (have computer setup for dual boot - Linux Mandrake). I haven't had enough time to play around with Longhorn, but from what I've seen, it runs fairly smooth. A nice change from any other OS that I've tested.
[size=9][b]Member #007 of the [url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116750&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0]Yadier Molina Fan Club.[/url][/b][/size]
denny_32
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Just some simple Dell laptop. I upped the memory to 640....seems to do everything I need it to...basically just use it for Photoshop, AIM, iTunes and Firefox.

If I decide to get frisky, I'll bust open Dreamweaver or Flash, hence the extra RAM.

B-)
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:28 pm

Hey my girlfriend wants to know what type of laptop she should get. She needs something basic and reliable for word processing, audio, video ect... I've heard "Centrino" technology is good for battery life and weight, any opinions?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:12 pm

nuggets wrote:Hey my girlfriend wants to know what type of laptop she should get. She needs something basic and reliable for word processing, audio, video ect... I've heard "Centrino" technology is good for battery life and weight, any opinions?

You'll pay more for Centrino and if she just needs something basic, I don't think she really needs it. I would suggest any basic Pentium 4 or even 3 with 256mb of RAM. Most 512mb of RAM will cost you over $1000 bucks. You may even be able to get away with a Celeron, but I absolutely hate Celerons and would suggest at least a PIII or AMD 2200
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:38 pm

blankman wrote:Then what are the specs for Longhorn?

Obviously XP doesn't require 2 GB of RAM; I wasn't talking about XP.

Darn these old eyes. That's what I get for creeping in here during work when I'm supposed to be, uh, working.

Anyway, like above, the official specs haven't been released yet. But no way the 'average joe' has a 6GHz cpu with a terabyte worth of storage as stated last year on that famous memo.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:02 am

I am a MSDN subscriber as well and have been beta testing Longhorn for over a year. I like it. Just so you know Longhorn isn't 64-bit only, there will be a 32-bit version of the OS available as well. It will still be some time before 32-bit processors are phased out. It's a lot different than when we went from the 16-bit to 32-bit. 32-bits are still useful.

The spec for Longhorn is expected to be 512MB.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:38 am

Phatferd wrote:
nuggets wrote:Hey my girlfriend wants to know what type of laptop she should get. She needs something basic and reliable for word processing, audio, video ect... I've heard "Centrino" technology is good for battery life and weight, any opinions?

You'll pay more for Centrino and if she just needs something basic, I don't think she really needs it. I would suggest any basic Pentium 4 or even 3 with 256mb of RAM. Most 512mb of RAM will cost you over $1000 bucks. You may even be able to get away with a Celeron, but I absolutely hate Celerons and would suggest at least a PIII or AMD 2200

Thanks fred. Can I get any more recommendations?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:40 pm

"Centrino" is really nothing more than marketing. It's just the combination of a Pentium mobile and a network card.

There's nothing wrong with Celeron processors. They became a dirty word because the original desktop models had small on-die memory (L2 cache) and they really suffered performance-wise under load.

The Celeron M (mobile) is actually a very nice chip and is great for a lot of people who don't care what SpeedStep and HyperThreading are. :-D Take my parents, for instance, all they do is check their email, surf the web and make a dinner reservation sometimes.

When you say audio/video if you're just talking about MP3/DVD playback than a Celeron is fine for your gf and it's tough to beat th Dell Inspiron.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:"Centrino" is really nothing more than marketing. It's just the combination of a Pentium mobile and a network card.

There's nothing wrong with Celeron processors. They became a dirty word because the original desktop models had small on-die memory (L2 cache) and they really suffered performance-wise under load.

The Celeron M (mobile) is actually a very nice chip and is great for a lot of people who don't care what SpeedStep and HyperThreading are. :-D Take my parents, for instance, all they do is check their email, surf the web and make a dinner reservation sometimes.

When you say audio/video if you're just talking about MP3/DVD playback than a Celeron is fine for your gf and it's tough to beat th Dell Inspiron.

I heard battery life and weight are burdens to the the typical celeron powered laptop. Any truth to that?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk