Let's talk hardware - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Let's talk hardware

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:59 pm

nuggets wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:If you got money to burn then go for it.

Otherwise, why do you need 64-bit computing? Unless you do corporate sized database crunching or heavy duty video editing (like on a Hollywood level) then it's really just a waste of money right now. The market is very new and prices will eventually drop.

Driver and software support is not up to snuff yet on a wide scale. So, any problems you have will be very dicey in resolving. Last I checked Logitech drivers and Dell monitors were a no-show for compatibility.

I'm just your average joe, so I'm waiting it out at least for a year to let the industry catch up to 64-bit and to let everyone else work out all the bugs for me.

But it's only one man's opinion.

I seemed like a really good deal. $550 for:

3200+ AMD 64 processor
A bunch of good software
160 GB Hard drive
DVD+/- RE 16x burner
512 MB DDR "dual channel" memory (RAM I think)
Basic Printer and Monitor
and some other stuff, I you want to know so you can go to a store and get a comparable deal or for any other reason, PM me and I will give you receipts and details :-)

I was looking toward the future. The next Windows OS will be 64 bit based. I haven't had problems yet but I'm sure I don't use my computer for all the things you guys do.

I bought some expensive graphics card that allows me to do the dual monitors :-) So clutch for player comparisons .

Rkiivs wrote:p.s. for what it's worth, Win98SE will always have a warm place in my heart as the uber gaming platform. Used it for years.

;-D Me too. I hope my new stuff works out. :-?

Sounds like an eMachines...

I like eMachines for stock computers. They really have done a good job of making a good product over the last couple of years.

As to being prepared for the next windows, you may want to think about it a lil bit. It may still be a couple of years off, people still don't know when it will really be ready, but even when it comes out you don't want to be one of the first people to try it. I would suggest for most computer software its good to wait it out and see what people think.

Especially with a Micro$oft product, they may very well allow themselves really easy access to your computer with their new Windows program. I think they will pretty much make a program that won't allow you to do the things you are used to on the current windows. Such as what you have on your computer ;-)
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:21 pm

I'd expect some anti-piracy measures. And when that's the case, I'll be very slow to switch.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:29 pm

For anyone who's curious: Windows Longhorn Screenshots
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:For anyone who's curious: Windows Longhorn Screenshots

Based on that, XP looks better and looks more functional. :-/
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:16 pm

blankman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:For anyone who's curious: Windows Longhorn Screenshots

Based on that, XP looks better and looks more functional. :-/

Couple reasons for that:

1) It's not supposed to be much "better" than XP for the standard user. It's real value to our futures is its 64 bit processor compatibility. This won't even be appreciated for a few years at the very minimum.

2) Anything out of what we are currently use will look foreign to us and therefore not as likeable. I think once we start using it, we'll like it.

The minimum requirements simply to run it is ridiculous, I haven't checked in a few months...but I remember something about the computer needing at LEAST 2gb of RAM. They recommended 4, IIRC. I could be off, but I do remember thinking it was outrageous.

Keep in mind also that it's still under production, there will likely be some pretty significant changes that from what we see now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:22 pm

2 gigs of RAM minimum? That's just ridiculous. 8-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:27 am

blankman wrote:2 gigs of RAM minimum? That's just ridiculous. 8-o

That's incorrect. The specs actually aren't too far off the average joe's computer. However, if you do only use mimum specs you will see the system bogging down more than on 32-bit.

Minimum specs needed to run XP Pro
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

And Nuggets, don't get me wrong. Not knocking your system at all. I just buy barebones or build from scratch my systems now.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby blankman » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:29 am

Then what are the specs for Longhorn?

Obviously XP doesn't require 2 GB of RAM; I wasn't talking about XP.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:14 pm

blankman wrote:Then what are the specs for Longhorn?

Obviously XP doesn't require 2 GB of RAM; I wasn't talking about XP.

They haven't been released officially yet....but Bill said he expect computers by that time to be running 2 gb of RAM on average. People implied this to mean that either the minimum or recommended amount would be 2gb.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk