Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:59 am

Something we're going to do this year at the Cafe' is a report card for all the teams. Give grades for all positions, be them good or bad, opinions on what will happen in the second half, and opinions on what has happened so far in the first half.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome as this is a group project for each team's fans. Let's hear what all my fellow Ranger fans have to say! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SCRanger » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:00 am

Not sure how the grading works, but here is what I got.

1B - Tex - A+
0 errors, 17 HRs, getting the job done!

2B - Soriano - B+
Still can't play infield worth a lick. Power numbers are there, which is what he should be doing in the 5th hole. While he was batting leadoff, his OBP and SBs weren't really there. I blame some of that on his hamstring. Still K'ing a bit.

SS - Young - A
Finally coming around after a slow start. Only a handful of errors at such a demanding posistion.

3B - Blalock - A+
1 Error at 3rd. Not as much power as I would like, but still doing a good job. Doing better this year against lefties.

OF - Mench - B
Most of his power has come on the road. Still looking for his grove, which explains some of his mini burst. Still fairly solid. Low strikeouts is a plus.

OF - Nix/Mathews - C
Doing about average truth be told. Mathews getting injured didn't help much. Hopefully one of them will get hot and produce when others get cold.

OF - Hidalgo - C
Knew he would be streaky, and well he is. Horrid batting average, but good power numbers. Fairly solid defense too.

C - Barajas - B-
Very good defensively, and still providing a little pop to his bat. Wish his average was a bit higher. All in all, above average.

DH - Delluci - A
At one point lead the Majors in OBP. Tons of walks, good power, scoring a lot. Just what a leadoff hitter should be doing. Only wish he had more steals so he would be in scoring position more often, or be a bigger threat to steal to help rattle the pitchers.

SP - Rogers - A
Almost perfect! More Ks would be nice, but no one is arguing that ERA. Just hopes he continues it in the second half.

SP - Young - A
Really looking like Rookie of the Year. Ks are building up, ERA is getting better, and wins are starting to get there. Just wish he had more run support at times.

SP - Park - D+
Not pitching well, just amazing run support is the story here. Had a great March, but other then that, pretty much not good. At least he is giving us innings.

SP - Astacio - F
Sucking. His pitches aren't landing where he wants them. He is getting shelled, and still losing when he does get the run support. Either needs to pick it up or be replaced.

CP - Cordero - B
Has blown many saves, but has been very shaky. He needs to find his grove again for us to stay in the race.

Bullpen - D
How many times can we blow a lead? Or let one just get away? Injuries have killed us too. Need help here more then anywhere.

M - Showalter - A
He's Showalter. He's a great manager. He is keeping the team in the right direction, and they are playing well under his leadership. What more can be said?

So far so good. However we didn't captilize on Vlad/Krod being injured as much as I would like to have us done. 1.5 games back. Need to sweep the Angels next week, and just keep piling on wins after that. Looking forward to seeing several Rangers in the All-star game. Great Team Cohesion. Keep it up!
SCRanger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:43 am

Nice writeup! ;-D

If we would just get rid of Astacio and give Benoit his spot, along with getting some bullpen help, we'd be in much better shape. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:19 am

Very nice!

But A+ to Blalock? That might be a little generous. He's not at Teix's level.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:02 am

SCRanger wrote:C - Barajas - B-
Very good defensively, and still providing a little pop to his bat. Wish his average was a bit higher. All in all, above average.

I agree with most of your grades but a B- for Barajas?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby SCRanger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:11 pm

Well some of my grades are based on their defensive skills. Blalock is playing extremely well at defense. Take Arod out of the 3b comparision on batting stats against other third basemen, and Blalock is near the top. Defense too me is extremely important.

Same thing with Barajas. Compared to most catchers, his bat is fairly solid, but his defensive skills are very very good.

I might be a bit too generous to Blalock and Barajas, but defense sells me.
SCRanger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 am

I have to agree with SCRanger when it comes to the defense of both guys. ;-D

I'm not real happy at all with Blalock's bat this year, but his defense has been surprisingly good. ;-D

Rod's bat is definitely lacking, but he's also working with the pitchers and the Rangers are over .500. I do give him some of the credit on that too. B- might be too much credit, but I'd go with that or at least a C+.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:22 pm

Mad.......I hope that you don't mind but I have plagiarized your intro in the Yankees forum. It seemed to fit very well. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:26 am

Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I hope that you don't mind but I have plagiarized your intro in the Yankees forum. It seemed to fit very well. ;-D

Plagiarized is a nice way of saying steal. }:-)

Hehehe. :-b No worries at all Lo ;-) . Use it in good health! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Texas Rangers