Owner "accidentally" accepted my trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Owner "accidentally" accepted my trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby IvanX » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:31 pm

mbuser wrote:wouldn't the player that is on your teams DL that is no longer on the DL be the player that you would need to take off the DL? you are upset because they don't get more specific?

In the case of the DL issue, you're right, it's not such a big deal. However, I do have two DL spots, so it requires, oh, two seconds thinking (joke). But in any case I can't remember the exact message, and I remember it as being "error-oriented" rather than just telling you what's up. An application shouldn't tell you that there's an "error" if all that you really need is more information. An error is when the program fails, not the user. (And what would be so difficult, anyway, about just telling you who it applies to?)

But point taken. The bigger hassle is when you've moved a few people around and then you get this, in nice red letters:
• That position has already been filled. (Error #159)
• That position has already been filled. (Error #159)
• You have an internal roster error. (Error #290)

This is ridiculous. First off, the same error appears twice (if you tried to overbook two positions). Second, forgetting even the luxury of announcing who the issue applies to, it doesn't even say WHICH position(s) are affected, only "that" position. Third, it shows you useless error numbers, which serve no purpose except to alarm people like my dad. Fourth, this should all be a single, simple message, not three. Fifth, "You have an internal roster error" sounds like the kind of message I'd expect from MS Windows. "Internal error" is never a good message to offer an end user -- it sounds like something mysterious and hopeless is going on. An internal error is, like, when your colon fails.

You don't even need a separate error screen -- you could just have the note at the top when you redraw the player page with the affected player names in red, for example. An error screen can be appropriate for unanticipated or rare issues, but not for something that I'm sure happens countless times per day.

This is just lazy (or unsympathetic). Handling predictable, common user mistakes gracefully and informatively is one of the hallmarks of good application design. If your primary audience is engineers, that's a different story. But then you'd at least expect more detail, rather than less. This kind of message creates alarm while providing insufficient information.

It's not like this is the end of the world, but as an application developer, I find this kind of thing really annoying when it could be so easily improved.
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers