Owner "accidentally" accepted my trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Owner "accidentally" accepted my trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:24 pm

BritSox wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:I'm gonna give them back to him, but I'm going to hold onto Vlad and Ortiz until the last day before I'll get Pedro for his next start. No use in me missing Pedro's next start and not getting power numbers from Vlad and Ortiz because of his misclick.

I think this is an excellent solution. For all that it was an honest mistake, he can't expect you to suffer for it. Might also remind him to be more careful without having a big effect on his team.

If you were any other owner, I could maybe see this as reasonable. He made a mistake, if the commish doesn't step in there's no reason you shouldn't take advantage of that mistake, while not completely screwing him over.

However, as the commish, there's a certain amount of responsibility to maintain the absolute highest level of fairness, and that means disadvantaging yourself at times to keep the league happy and functioning in good faith. As commish, there's no way you can take advantage of rent-a-player without damaging this good faith agreement. You really have to make an effort to fix things without taking advantage of the situation.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:26 pm

rainman23 wrote:I don't know about Sportsline, but Yahoo's user interface here blows. The "Accept" button is exactly where you'd expect the "Send" button to be. (Not just my opinion, generally accepted gui-design principles.) There's no confusion if you immediately hit Reject, but if you're a conscientious manager who likes to explain WHY you're rejecting the trade, it's very easy to make this mistake.

I've noticed this myself. Why don't big companies like Yahoo hire good people to design their software?
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:35 pm

He's not "taking advantage" he's rectifying the disadvantage he suffers from missing the Pedro start. If, as commish, he can turn both trades around quickly enough to avoid missing the start, then there's no issue here.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:39 pm

Cooner wrote:
rainman23 wrote:I don't know about Sportsline, but Yahoo's user interface here blows. The "Accept" button is exactly where you'd expect the "Send" button to be. (Not just my opinion, generally accepted gui-design principles.) There's no confusion if you immediately hit Reject, but if you're a conscientious manager who likes to explain WHY you're rejecting the trade, it's very easy to make this mistake.

I've noticed this myself. Why don't big companies like Yahoo hire good people to design their software?

that has always bothered me as i have almost accepted trades i meant to reject many times. i dont understand why they have confirmation pages for adding/dropping but for trades just one button and done.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:42 pm

BritSox wrote:He's not "taking advantage" he's rectifying the disadvantage he suffers from missing the Pedro start. If, as commish, he can turn both trades around quickly enough to avoid missing the start, then there's no issue here.

ahh, sorry, my mistake. I thought you were saying he should try to get the most out of the situation and NOT try to turn the trades around.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Pisses me off. I'm 8 K's down from the guy and need Pedro to start for me, but again, my team will suffer because of another managers mistake. To make things worse, this trade is going to help him in the pitching categories this week that he needs. I'm in a big match up this week with the guy who is in 2nd place (I'm in first) and I need Pedro's K's.

I posted a message and warning to everyone that from now on, every accepted trade goes through no matter what the intentions are. If it is so important that you don't accept a trade, take the time to make sure you click the right button.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby dannahann » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:05 pm

If the trade gets vetoed you won't lose Pedro's start...why not simply enact a veto by whatever means your pact with Yahoo demands. Either you (as commish) do it, or you solicit enough veto votes amongst your league so yahoo does it. That's the fairest way IMO. BTW we have similar things happen in our keeper leagues virtually every season and in EVERY INSTANCE the accidental trade or drop is undone immediatly.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby IvanX » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:29 pm

rainman23 wrote:I don't know about Sportsline, but Yahoo's user interface here blows.

Not only for trades -- all over the place. Yahoo has almost crazily user-hostile error messages for everyday mistakes, like accidentally assigning two guys to play the same position when you're jiggling your roster, or trying to add someone when you need to take someone off your DL first. These kinds of things should be simple explanations, not "errors." And would it kill them to actually tell you which players are set up wrong so you don't have to go figure it out?

The new Flash-based StatTracker takes an eon to load and can't be resized, requiring awkward horizontal scrolling if you're playing with more than ten stats. (And if you're not on Windows, the old Java version has the exact same problem.) You don't have watch/add/trade links when you're looking at your league's recent transactions or the buzz index, nor do you have any easy way of getting to them -- you pretty much have to go manually find the player over in Players. You can't get weekly totals except inside the StatTracker -- they don't show up on the "View Matchup" screen. Etc.

With that said, I still find it usable and enjoyable, and appreciate that it's plain old HTML which means I can do my adding/dropping/benching on my Treo -- useful for benching pitchers after my opponent has already committed to starting his. (The "cell phone" version of the site, however, is nearly useless.)

But it would be nice to see Yahoo make some basic improvements. I've sent them suggestions through their feedback form, and they've sent pleasant form letters back, but I'm not expecting to see much improvment.
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mbuser » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:09 pm

IvanX wrote:
rainman23 wrote:I don't know about Sportsline, but Yahoo's user interface here blows.

Not only for trades -- all over the place. Yahoo has almost crazily user-hostile error messages for everyday mistakes, like accidentally assigning two guys to play the same position when you're jiggling your roster, or trying to add someone when you need to take someone off your DL first. These kinds of things should be simple explanations, not "errors." And would it kill them to actually tell you which players are set up wrong so you don't have to go figure it out?

wouldn't the player that is on your teams DL that is no longer on the DL be the player that you would need to take off the DL? you are upset because they don't get more specific?
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:13 pm

1. Time it so that I keep Vlad and Ortiz until 1 day before Pedro's next start so I get the most out of Vlad and Ortiz.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers