Strategy behind spot starting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy behind spot starting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby djack909 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:09 pm

By the way, I dumped Ohka, so I could spot start Arroyo tonight on those 2 teams. I allready to dumped Arroyo. so I could spot start K. Benson tomorrow against Oakland. Two good outings out of three would still be ok.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:18 pm

RAmst23 wrote:I also only play roto as I dislike the H2H format.. Anyway, this would be fairly difficult in roto, as you are effectively doing a high risk gamble on the WW pitcher you pick-up. If you want low ratios and some spot wins, then go with middle relievers in roto.

I should clarify that my league has an odd format for pitchers:
SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P

This makes it difficult to use middle relievers, so it becomes more important to get quality outings out of your starters. But I'd agree that in a Roto league with more standard pitching slots, it makes much more sense to grab relievers instead of gambling on a mediocre starter.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:21 pm

First off I definitely agree its a bad roto strategy unless its the end of the year and you have nothing to lose. Its all about trying to secure as many counting stats as possible and hoping for the best on the rate stats. There will be weeks where you will have amazing psychic powers and can dominate a much stronger opposing staff, and there will be weeks where you will get bombed. Usually its best used when you have an early week pitching meltdown and you need to try and salvage the K/W cats.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby swyck » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:35 pm

The other thing is that you'd be constantly turning over your bench players.

I tend to look at the end of my bench as would be sleepers just ready to break out big time. In reality they're more likely to be injured, stuck to the bench, sent to the minors, or even cut by their teams. I can see that it may be possible to get more use out of those spots, as there always seems to be someone rising to the top of the FA pack.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:39 pm

When you go with a spot starter you're just trying to go with the odds. The odds of a mediocre pitcher off waivers vs. a weak team may be better than the odds for one of your good pitchers vs. a strong team on a single night. The theory behind spot starting is simply to try to play the best odds because that's all you can do in fantasy - play the odds and hope that the team with the best chance to win actually does win.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby klvrdude » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:41 am

I guess I'm in the minority, b/c I think there is a place for spot starting in Roto before the end of the season.

Ordinarily you'd like to have a full staff of healthy players, but that's just not a reasonable expectation...players get hurt and some for long stretches. Bedard, Schilling, Harden, Thomson, Sheets, Wood, Prior are just some of the notable pitchers who've seen the letters "DL" next to their name this year.

Also, b/c most people are trying to reach their IP max at the end of the season so there is usually a scramble for spot starters. Why not pick them up mid-season while they still have something in their arm and you have first crack at them?

So to answer your question about what I look for...

1. Playing a weaker team (ex. TB, COL, KC, HOU, etc).
2. Ordinarily I like them to be @ home. I've found there are just some pitchers who aren't road tested (look at the splits on Rodrigo Lopez, Brandon Backe) and are more predictable in familar surroundings.
3. I check to see if the opposing has had any success against them in the past (i.e. Batter vs. Pitcher stats). Sure Miggy has hit them in the past, but how has Biggie or Sosa done?
4. Lastly I see what they've down in their last 3 or so starts. For instance I think in most instances I would pick Greinke up for his start against the Dodgers, but he's been hit hard in his last few starts.

I'm sure I'm forgeting something, but I hope this enables you to make your own decisions.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:51 am

Remember when the Tigers were really bad a couple years ago. This guy followed them, picking up almost every pitcher who went against them and won a roto league with the worst 1st place team I've ever seen. I guess that's what you have to do if you drafted Schilling, Prior, Schmidt, Wood and/or bad pitchers.

Last year there was an excellent thread for spot starters. Probably the highest consistant quality I've seen from a predictor. Where is he BTW?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DEF » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:00 am

swyck wrote:The other thing is that you'd be constantly turning over your bench players.

That's not really true. Maybe the first time you grab a spot starter or two you'll drop bench players for them, but after that you'll generally just be dropping one guy you picked up for a spot start for another. If there's no innings or transactions max, that's a more efficient use of those last few roster spots than bench players who aren't likely to play much or add stats to your team.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Postby djack909 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Ohka, Arroyo. and Benson gave me 3 wins 1.65 ERA 1.18 WHIP & 14K. With Bedard, Harden, Schilling, Ollie Perez, and Sheets as my SPs on these two teams, I have no choice but to spot start. There are no good spot starts this weekend.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djack909 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:34 am

People respond to my post on spot starting as if I'm saying everyone should do it with their teams. I drafted Pedro, Schilling, Wood, Od Perez, Thompson, and Pinero. I dumped Pinero and picked up Bedard. Pedro may be a great pitcher, but if he is your only pitcher not on the DL, you have to pick up Redman and Contreras and spot start. Tomorrow Chacin spots, on Saturday Wakefield spots. Spot starting has kept this team in the competition. It's in 3rd place. Obviously, I have had to spot start pichting for half of the season. I am projected to not use 37 innings today, so I haven't been wasting innings. With Pedro and spot starters I have these points W 8 K 10 ERA 4 WHIP 10.5. Thats pretty good for a bunch of nobodys.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers