Doe Yankees Really NEED A New Stadium? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Doe Yankees Really NEED A New Stadium?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Did the Yankees really NEED a New Stadium?

Yes-It was too old.
48%
No-Lots of history, and it was in good shape
52%

Total votes : 48

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:51 pm

I've never been to Yankee Stadium...but hearing people here say its not in good shape makes me feel better about building a new one.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:25 pm

blankman wrote:TWhat's the point of the topic? To call the Yankees greedy? I just don't understand. :-/

Whether they need it or not is irrelevant IMO. If they're going to pay for it, let them build a new one every 10 yrs if they feel like it, whatever they want, and this applies to any team.

It's nice to see that much of the tradition of Yankee Stadium, the facade(sp), Monument Park is being preserved, as well as the dimensions (although with this team, they'd be more helped if the short porch were in LF (Alex, Sheffield, even Jeter).

Why is every thread on the subject of the Yankees considered an attack by conspirators? Pretty paranoid, aren't we?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:10 pm

They need a state of the art stadium in order to max profits. They need to generate more cash to waste on talentless bums. But seriously even the Cubs will eventually have to say goodbye to the friendly confines in order to make more profit.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:10 am

In a perfect world Ebbets Field would still be standing.

I'm sure about 50 years ago everyone was having the same conversations. Time marches on.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby BritSox » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:56 pm

Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wembley... even the greatest, most historical venues become fleapits with time. It might not be urgent quite yet, but it can't be that far off. They seem to have dealt with the whole situation fairly sensitively, so I can't say it really bothers me.

The only minor qualm i might have is that a fair proportion of this money (maybe as much as $300 million) will be revenue that would otherwise have gone to the D-Rays, Pirates etc.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Cooner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:18 pm

Rkiivs wrote:In a perfect world Ebbets Field would still be standing.

It's going to again! The "new Shea" is modeled after Ebbets.

No offense to the tradition, but Yankee Stadium is really an ugly ugly place. It's incredibly steep, the bleachers are a poor temporary facility with bad sight lines, and the whole place is just plain grungy. The Yanks definitely need a new home. I much prefer Shea to Yankee stadium, but they both need to go.

As to the Times Square Subway station, the MTA simply doesn't have the money to renovate it. Any renovation would require some major changes to the layout of the station, something that's incredibly difficult when you consider the amount of real estate sitting on top of it and the huge number of people who use the station daily that would have to be accomodated during the renovation. Simply put, the MTA is practically bankrupt, and they have more pressing needs (like a 2nd "east side" line paralleling the 4-5-6). Despite the belief of many tourists, the subway system is not meant to accomodate tourism, it's meant to be a commuter system for the huge number of people who live in the city.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:30 pm

BritSox wrote:Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wembley... even the greatest, most historical venues become fleapits with time. It might not be urgent quite yet, but it can't be that far off. They seem to have dealt with the whole situation fairly sensitively, so I can't say it really bothers me.

The only minor qualm i might have is that a fair proportion of this money (maybe as much as $300 million) will be revenue that would otherwise have gone to the D-Rays, Pirates etc.

And Tampa would do what with the money? Improve their team? Don't make me laugh.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:06 pm

I think instead of the yanks, we should look at my hometown BoSOx, as the team that more than anyone needs a NEW stadium. Not just additions here and there. The RF seats SUCK. I went with my friend and was facing the CF'er the whole game. I had a neck ache the next day. And i am not obese or fat, but the seats are VERY thin, they were made for the avg. Joe in 1912, not the bigger america now. You cant beat the experience of goin to a Fenway game, but old is old, and we need a new Fenway
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:15 pm

"As to the Times Square Subway station, the MTA simply doesn't have the money to renovate it. Any renovation would require some major changes to the layout of the station, something that's incredibly difficult when you consider the amount of real estate sitting on top of it and the huge number of people who use the station daily that would have to be accomodated during the renovation. Simply put, the MTA is practically bankrupt, and they have more pressing needs (like a 2nd "east side" line paralleling the 4-5-6). Despite the belief of many tourists, the subway system is not meant to accomodate tourism, it's meant to be a commuter system for the huge number of people who live in the city."

This is off-topic, but that is a sham. Maybe if they would actually sell land for what its worth, rather than trying to sweetheart deals for the jets, they'd have it. Not to mention those books are so cooked, its absurd. Remember the fare increase last year? Then all the sudden "oh yea, our numbers were wrong". Then the monthly, weekly passes went up again this year. The thing is mismanaged, plain and simple. Funny how cities the world over like tokyo, london, paris can all muster nicer train facilities as new york. I know no city is new york, but comeon, those are pretty damn similar in many ways.

The subway system is obviously for the residents. But any city that years for that tourist money had better put up the funds.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:19 pm

bceagles04 wrote:I think instead of the yanks, we should look at my hometown BoSOx, as the team that more than anyone needs a NEW stadium. Not just additions here and there. The RF seats SUCK. I went with my friend and was facing the CF'er the whole game. I had a neck ache the next day. And i am not obese or fat, but the seats are VERY thin, they were made for the avg. Joe in 1912, not the bigger america now. You cant beat the experience of goin to a Fenway game, but old is old, and we need a new Fenway
Then Henry will have to come up with the cash just like Steinbrenner did.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers