Tomo Ohka - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tomo Ohka

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:23 pm

max1889 wrote:I would avoid him like a plague. I remember watching him in Boston when he would just get demolished. It was painful to watch him go out there every 5 days and have another bad start. Looking at his numbers, I don't see any reason to be excited about him.


And the same thing could have been said about Victor Santos, Doug Davis, Dan Kolb, Derrick Turnbow, etc before coming to Milwaukee and working with Mike Maddux. Look at their pre-Milwaukee career numbers. Maddux does a great job with these guys, and hopefully he can do the same with Ohka. As such, I believe he is at the very least a guy to keep your eye on.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:32 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
max1889 wrote:I would avoid him like a plague. I remember watching him in Boston when he would just get demolished. It was painful to watch him go out there every 5 days and have another bad start. Looking at his numbers, I don't see any reason to be excited about him.


And the same thing could have been said about Victor Santos, Doug Davis, Dan Kolb, Derrick Turnbow, etc before coming to Milwaukee and working with Mike Maddux. Look at their pre-Milwaukee career numbers. Maddux does a great job with these guys, and hopefully he can do the same with Ohka. As such, I believe he is at the very least a guy to keep your eye on.


It's no use Scooter. Some people are too narrow-minded unable to see the light.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:
max1889 wrote:I would avoid him like a plague. I remember watching him in Boston when he would just get demolished. It was painful to watch him go out there every 5 days and have another bad start. Looking at his numbers, I don't see any reason to be excited about him.


And the same thing could have been said about Victor Santos, Doug Davis, Dan Kolb, Derrick Turnbow, etc before coming to Milwaukee and working with Mike Maddux. Look at their pre-Milwaukee career numbers. Maddux does a great job with these guys, and hopefully he can do the same with Ohka. As such, I believe he is at the very least a guy to keep your eye on.


It's no use Scooter. Some people are too narrow-minded unable to see the light.


Haha, that may be true indeed. I'm not even trying to assert that he's a sure-fire pickup or that there's any guarantee for success. But if he's on the waiver wire, I don't see how you could "avoid him like the plague." He has a career ERA lower than Ben Sheets (and a 2.86 this year), and he's coming off a complete game shutout of Tampa. That's pretty hard to completely ignore, unless you're not trying to win your league.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:00 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:
max1889 wrote:I would avoid him like a plague. I remember watching him in Boston when he would just get demolished. It was painful to watch him go out there every 5 days and have another bad start. Looking at his numbers, I don't see any reason to be excited about him.


And the same thing could have been said about Victor Santos, Doug Davis, Dan Kolb, Derrick Turnbow, etc before coming to Milwaukee and working with Mike Maddux. Look at their pre-Milwaukee career numbers. Maddux does a great job with these guys, and hopefully he can do the same with Ohka. As such, I believe he is at the very least a guy to keep your eye on.


It's no use Scooter. Some people are too narrow-minded unable to see the light.


Haha, that may be true indeed. I'm not even trying to assert that he's a sure-fire pickup or that there's any guarantee for success. But if he's on the waiver wire, I don't see how you could "avoid him like the plague." He has a career ERA lower than Ben Sheets (and a 2.86 this year), and he's coming off a complete game shutout of Tampa. That's pretty hard to completely ignore, unless you're not trying to win your league.



Exactly. I even said to watch his next couple of starts. I don't know. Some people are more interested in killing a player based on nothing than actually finding a reason to look beyond the obvious.

Yoda wrote:I have a feeling that this guy might be worth a pick up if he does well in his next outing
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby gabenterprises » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:12 pm

I remember watching him in Boston and thinking he looked good. As I look at his stats, he had 12 starts in 2000 with an ERA of 3.12. But the next year, he blew up to 6.19. Guess I missed that patch...
However, his stats look pretty good career wise: 3.83 ERA aint bad, and really, his last three years combined stats seem good.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 686
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: seoul

Postby The Jury » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:29 pm

To me, looking at his career page in Yahoo profile, his numbers spell out mediocrity in capital letters, size 72, Times New Roman.

He's been on a few of my teams on and off over the past few years, so he's serviceable and borderline, but it'll probably take a miracle for him to really become a consistent force on someone's fantasy staff.

I don't think Milwaukee faces too many killer offensive teams during the season, so he might have a chance to put something together..
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:11 am

If your k/9 is lower than 4, I'm sorry, you just can't be on my team. Maybe in an NL only league I'd give him some filler starts, but his lack of k's make him almost impossible to pick up. He'd have to be outstanding at wins, whip, and era, and I don't see him being more than slightly above average in two of the three.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:34 am

KolbSaves wrote:If your k/9 is lower than 4, I'm sorry, you just can't be on my team. Maybe in an NL only league I'd give him some filler starts, but his lack of k's make him almost impossible to pick up. He'd have to be outstanding at wins, whip, and era, and I don't see him being more than slightly above average in two of the three.


See, now that's a fair argument against Ohka, and I can see where you're coming from. I can relate to what you're saying, unlike those who say he pitched poorly in Boston a few teams ago and is therefore worthless. Personally, I'm in deep leagues, an 18 teamer and a 20 teamer. As such, a guy like Ohka who could contribute in more than one category becomes fairly valuable. His Ks will not be great (although he did K 6 D-Rays), but his ERA has been low all season, he's won more than he's lost, and he's posted a solid WHIP. Furthermore, I think these numbers can get better with Mike Maddux's tutelage.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zepfan and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact