Tomo Ohka - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tomo Ohka

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tomo Ohka

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:39 pm

I have a feeling that this guy might be worth a pick up if he does well in his next outing. Mike Maddux has worked wonders with guys like Capuano, Davis and Santos to name a few...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:04 pm

I'm not convinced. He's a soft-tosser who gives up the long ball. He's also been stranding a ton of baserunners. IMO, it's only a matter of time before his luck runs out.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:15 pm

Don't let that shutout fool you, as someone who follows the Nats I don't have much faith in him. His ERA was over 4 up until late May, and he can be wildly inconsistent. As SA said, luck plays a big role. He's also going to more of a pitcher's park for his home games, which will hurt him.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:16 pm

defn worth keeping an eye on. the last few years he has thrown some fantastic games and also some very bad ones. He has the ability, just look at 2000, 2002, and 2004: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6283/career

Mike Maddux might be what he needs to put it together, though fantasy-wise he is a K liability.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby djack909 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:33 pm

spot started him last night an dumped him after the game. Will possibly pick him up next year for a spot start against the Rays, aside of that he's worthless in 12 team leagues.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fpower » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:04 pm

His WHIP is respectable, so he can't be stranding that many baserunners, can he?

And shouldn't he have more run support in Milwaukee?
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jblank » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:52 pm

Fpower wrote:His WHIP is respectable, so he can't be stranding that many baserunners, can he?

Do you guys even look at stats and history? He has 10 more walks than K's, a recipe for disaster. He has no real out pitch, he has very little velocity, and no history that suggests he is any more than back of the rotation fodder. He also just left arguably the best pitchers park in Baseball. If all of the above sounds groovy to you, then snatch him.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:52 pm

jblank wrote:
Fpower wrote:His WHIP is respectable, so he can't be stranding that many baserunners, can he?

Do you guys even look at stats and history? He has 10 more walks than K's, a recipe for disaster. He has no real out pitch, he has very little velocity, and no history that suggests he is any more than back of the rotation fodder. He also just left arguably the best pitchers park in Baseball. If all of the above sounds groovy to you, then snatch him.

He tossed 9 shut out innings with 6 Ks with his new team. A good pitching coach can do wonders. Just ask Doug Davis, Turnbow, Capuano, Santos, Obermueller, etc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:54 pm

jblank wrote:

this year's K/BB is way out of line with his career numbers and shouldn't continue as is.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
jblank wrote:

He tossed 9 shut out innings with 6 Ks with his new team. A good pitching coach can do wonders. Just ask Doug Davis, Turnbow, Capuano, Santos, Obermueller, etc.

Lesser pitchers have thrown shutouts. One game doesn't make a season. A good pitching coach can do wonders, you're right, but I don't think Ohka has the pure stuff to turn into anything but a back-end guy, as has been stated. Some of those other guys you mentioned throw gas, unlike Okha. The biggest thing for me is the inconsistency, and the fact that Milwaukee and Washington have two very different ballparks. Keep an eye on him, sure, but I wouldn't expect much.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers