Wireless Internet Compatability Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wireless Internet Compatability Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:59 pm

Rirruto wrote:Is there a difference in range/quality of signal between B and G?

Supposedly, yes. But I've used B and G routers and don't notice any difference personally. Many people feel the same way I do. If there is a difference, it's not much.

Regardless, I don't think there will be a difference in the cards, only in the routers. So if you have a G router it might go a little further assuming you are using G cards....but if you have a B router, you have no need for G cards (they won't go any further, or faster).
Last edited by slomo007 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Are you gonna get FIOS?? It's supposed to rock. :-°

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/ch ... t_fios.asp

My parents just got that installed. I will be able to see it this weekend.....it's supposed to be amazing. And it is cheaper than what they were paying for cable. I would really not want to own stock in Comcast....sorry to say that Lo. O:-)

Verizon has tremendous customer service as well. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:17 pm

Thanks for all the help Slomo. I feel weird asking so many computer related questions since I'm usually the one answering and helping out with computers (I was my dorm's computer tech last year) but honestly I have absolutely zero experience with wireless. I'm so glad my family has finally moved on from the dinosaur age. That new FIOS ISP looks crazy fast but DSL will be a welcome addition to my home.

I'm leaning on getting this card for either myself or my dad's notebook:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/defaul ... EDC=242504

Sweet rebate and decent enough review on CNET

P.S. I also posted on a tech support forum and who would have thunk I would get better answers in the general forum of a fantasy baseball message board :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:25 pm

Sorry to throw this in last minute, but I would HIGHLY suggest WPA encryption instead of the WEP option. I think that card is only capable of WEP instead of WPA. WEP is easily crackable in a period of hours if someone has access to your signal. It's better than leaving the network open, obviously....but WPA is really the way to go.

I would recommend spending the extra money on the linksys G card if that's what it takes to get the WPA over WEP. I don't really know if they sell WPA on B cards or not, but if they do that would be fine.

Forgot to mention that earlier, but just thought you should know. As for the brand...good choice. I've had a MS card and a Linksys card (both G) and the Linksys card got a MUCH better signal typically.

Let me know if you have any questions setting up the router's security.

Basically, you will want the MAC filter on, WPA on (TKIP, pre-shared key is fine), you want to change the SSID and turn SSID broadcasting off.

If any of that confused you, don't worry...just find the owners manual of the router and it should explain everything. Is the router that you have the popular Linksys G router?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:16 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Are you gonna get FIOS?? It's supposed to rock. :-°

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/ch ... t_fios.asp

My parents just got that installed. I will be able to see it this weekend.....it's supposed to be amazing. And it is cheaper than what they were paying for cable. I would really not want to own stock in Comcast....sorry to say that Lo. O:-)

Verizon has tremendous customer service as well. ;-D

No problem at all. I honestly don't mind the competition because I think that both Verizon and cable will be around for a long time and DBS companies will go away in the future. Don't think that Comcast or the other cable companies won't have a response. B-) I honestly think that the capabilities of cable are better than that of phonelines in the long run but we shall see. Comcast is also launching their phone service soon so that will help me as well. Plus, for me, once it gets installed, I get paid. Anything after that is just gravy. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:19 pm

The router Verizon is supplying is a DSL modem/router combo:
Here

I also have a Linksys wireless B router lying around that my friend didn't need anymore:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 5&prid=544

If you could take a look at the inventory on CDW whenever you get the chance that would be great. I will be getting whatever I get from there because my aunt's company has an account with them and I won't have to pay for it. Don't want to abuse it too much so something moderately priced would be good.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?grp=WIR

Also, what do you think of USB wireless adapters? They seem very convenient but I dont know how they compare to PC cards. This particular Netgear adapter scored very well with CNET:
Netgear USB Adapter

Thanks ;-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:35 pm

The router they're giving you is fine...it's got WPA compatibility. I would use this card with it.

As for the USB adapters, I have only used one and it was a Linksys. It was alright, it serves a great temporary need but I really wouldn't want one as the permanent solution. It is a little weird with the signal, it's really hard to explain all the little quirks it has. It serves the purpose, but don't get it for everyday use.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk