Wireless Internet Compatability Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wireless Internet Compatability Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wireless Internet Compatability Question

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:22 am

My family is finally moving on from dial-up very soon and it looks like we will be getting Verizon DSL. They will be supplying a modem/router which is 802.11g capable. I have a LINKSYS wireless PC card that someone gave to me which is 802.11b capable. My question is if the wireless card will be compatible with the modem/router. I have read places that 802.11g is backwards compatible but I wanted to ask here as well.

Here is the link to the modem/router:

http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/cha ... router.asp

Here is the link to the card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... =OTC-C173T
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:33 am

11g is 100% backwards compatible with 11b so you will have no problems there. Basically having a 11b Wireless card means you are not going to get much benefit from moving to a faster connection rate. I would highly suggest getting a 11g compatible card ASAP.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:19 am

I have a b router and it sucks.... I just wired it..let me tell you why it sucked though..basically wireless gaming...don't do any wireless gaming with b stuff it blows...wireless can be tricky as well...I recommend getting a G card for the g router
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:42 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might give the B card to my dad since he will need a wireless card as well but I doubt he really cares about having the best speed, as long as it works relatively good and I'll buy a G card for myself. Do you know of any ones that are good and relatively affordable?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:42 pm

I run a NetGear WG511 and have been real happy. Good range and the throughput is real good. The price is nice as well, I picked mine up for around $35 bucks.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:31 pm

FWIW, unless you have fiber optic internet which is currently spreading across the country (it freaking rocks!) then you probably won't notice a difference between B and G for surfing the net and/or gaming. The only time you'd actually notice the difference is if you do file sharing between 2 computers on the same router. This is because the bottleneck in a typical wireless connection is not the B or G connections, but rather it is the internet bandwidth itself.

If you're buying it new today, obviously go with G or even A, but if what you've got has been given to you and you don't have a lot of money to spend, just stick with the B card...I highly doubt you'll notice any difference at all in the normal surfing or gaming.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:48 pm

If I get an 802.11g card, would I even be able to utilize it's maximum speed with my DSL connection?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:25 pm

Rirruto wrote:If I get an 802.11g card, would I even be able to utilize it's maximum speed with my DSL connection?

That's what I'm saying....you won't be able to unless you're transferring files with another G computer on a G router. The internet bandwidth is typically slower than G cards are capable of.

However, this could change in the future. I know in Dallas you're now able to get fiber optic internet with ridiculous speeds at reasonable prices, so if this technology catches on then obviously B will become outdated. Until then, you're fine with B.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:48 pm

Is there a difference in range/quality of signal between B and G?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:25 pm

Are you gonna get FIOS?? It's supposed to rock. :-°

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/ch ... t_fios.asp
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to General Talk