Jose Guillen and Anger Management - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Guillen and Anger Management

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:24 pm

For RP's: Julian Taveras (for punching a phone in the dugout during the NLCS last year and breaking his hand) and the guy from Texas who threw a chair in the stands (Francisco something??) But I'm sure there are others.

SP: Wasn't Steve Carlton pretty angry? Or was he just grumpy?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Speaking of Carl Everett, from ESPN News:

Crazy Carl Everett wrote:
• Everett has had gay teammates, whom he has accepted, but: "Gays being gay is wrong. Two women can't produce a baby, two men can't produce a baby, so it's not how it's supposed to be. ... I don't believe in gay marriages. I don't believe in being gay."

• Wrigley Field is the worst park in the majors: "They need to implode Wrigley."

• Most baseball fans don't know diddly: "Fan is short for fanatic -- he's crazy about something he really doesn't know about. And it's proven that 99 percent of baseball fans have no idea what they're watching."

• Jose Canseco is a "bitter, ignorant individual."

• The congressional hearings examining steroid use were a waste: "We have a war going on -- I have family in that war -- yet we're talking about steroids. ... If everybody in the world got on steroids, we'll still lose more kids to a war than we will from steroids."

1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby matmat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:40 pm

jay
oh
eych
en

ar
oh
cee
kay
eee
ar
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:21 pm

Let's get Joaquin Andujar on that pitching staff, by the way.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nuggets » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:39 pm

WharfRat wrote:Speaking of Carl Everett, from ESPN News:

Crazy Carl Everett wrote:

• Most baseball fans don't know diddly: "Fan is short for fanatic -- he's crazy about something he really doesn't know about. And it's proven that 99 percent of baseball fans have no idea what they're watching."

• The congressional hearings examining steroid use were a waste: "We have a war going on -- I have family in that war -- yet we're talking about steroids. ... If everybody in the world got on steroids, we'll still lose more kids to a war than we will from steroids."

He's got a point with the fan thing, I believe. His second one sounds stupid at first but gets pretty deep in the end if you think about it.

Let's not get started on politics, right?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:51 pm

From CBSSportline.com
Guillen calls former manager Scioscia 'piece of garbage'

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Jose Guillen arrived with the Washington Nationals earlier this week insisting he had nothing bad to say about anyone on his former team.

By the time he left late Wednesday night, he certainly had said plenty about Los Angeles manager Mike Scioscia.

"I have no respect for him any more, because I'm still hurt from what happened last year," Guillen said after Washington's 1-0 win over Los Angeles. "Mike Scioscia to me is like a piece of garbage. I don't care if I get in trouble."

The friction between Guillen and Scioscia began last September when Guillen was removed for a pinch-runner and threw a tantrum in the dugout that carried into the clubhouse.

The Angels suspended him for the final eight regular-season games, left him off the postseason roster, then traded him in November.

When the Nationals began their series at Anaheim on Monday, Scioscia said, "The last time I talked to him was the day of the trade and we had a real nice conversation."

Said Guillen: "He was talking to me last year about respect and class and how we have to move on. I don't care really much about Mike Scioscia."

During his tirade, the Nationals' right fielder told teammate Vinny Castilla, sitting in front of an adjacent locker, "Stay right there, Vinny, and make sure you hear what I say. That way I don't get in trouble."

By the time Guillen finished talking, Scioscia was not around to comment.

Booed loudly by Angels fans every trip to the plate, Guillen obviously got fired-up during Tuesday night's pine tar feud.

Washington manager Frank Robinson asked the umpires to check Brendan Donnelly's glove, and the Angels' reliever was ejected for having pine tar on it. Scioscia came onto the field and yelled at Robinson and both benches emptied, although no punches were thrown.

A screaming Guillen, meanwhile, was restrained by several teammates.

"I'm so happy that I wasn't the first one to be in the middle because I don't know what would have happened there," Guillen said. "I am so happy that my teammates grabbed me and dragged me back to the dugout because if I was right in the middle, the story was going to be different."

He made a different sort of statement in the next inning of that second game of the series, hitting a two-run homer to tie it and ignite a four-run eighth inning against Donnelly's replacement, Scot Shields, in Washington's 6-3 victory.

"Whatever happened last night was a wake-up call for me. I was a totally different player after that," Guillen said after the NL East-leading Nationals took two of three against the AL West-pacesetting Angels.

"I want to beat this team so bad. I can never get over what happened last year. It's something I'm never going to forget. Every time I play that team and Scioscia's managing, it's always going to be personal to me."

Guillen, who began his outburst last September by slamming his helmet into the dugout, drew a chorus of boos when he banged his helmet to the ground after Jeff DaVanon made a sliding catch to rob him of a hit Wednesday night.

Guillen said the constant booing motivated him.

"Every time I came to bat it was like, `Here we go again, Let's go.' I was just laughing," said Guillen, who went 5-for-13 in the series.

Those be some fighting words....what do you say, 3, 4 games?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:58 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:
"I am so happy that my teammates grabbed me and dragged me back to the dugout because if I was right in the middle, the story was going to be different."

Those be some fighting words....what do you say, 3, 4 games?

No. And :-t to Guillen hating. I think he was thinking about how he would have been suspended if they didn't hold him back. He didn't make any references to violence or use vulgar language.

-Not that he isn't the current posterchild for the all anger management team right now though.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:35 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:Those be some fighting words....what do you say, 3, 4 games?

3-4 games for what? Saying he thought Scoscia was garbage? Personally, so do I.

He is obviously not a model citizen, but he was not ejected, did not cause a fight or even instigate a fight (this time). Had he made these comments about an ump, I could see a suspension, but not for saying them about a manager who suspended him last year.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers