WHATS YOUR BEST MVP 2005 TEAM??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHATS YOUR BEST MVP 2005 TEAM???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jacopo2155 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:16 pm

i played my first 40 or 50 games on pro and all star and then moved to MVP and ive been getting about the same success. i pretty much mastered the game last year and my skill has carried me into this one. i didnt do a fantasy draft, i just play as the cincinnati reds. i am 68-58 and in first place (yes surprisingly with the reds) for any reds fan or anyone who cares my lineup looks like this (in order)

3B Freel
1B Casey
CF Griffey
LF Dunn
RF Pena
2B Jimenez
C LaRue
SS F. Lopez

SP Milton (15-7 era in the 2's, threw a perfect game on all star level, thats when i realized i needed to move up. man i wish milton would do this good in real life)
SP P. Wilson
SP P. Byrd (Traded Harang and Kearns for him, both of which were sucking majorly)
SP R. Ortiz
SP I've had a number of guys in here, starting with Claussen, to Josh Hancock, to Luke Hudson and now im back to Hancock.

LRP Belisle
LRP J Fernandez
MRP Weber
MRP Valentine
SU Mercker
SU Weathers
CL Graves

i have a blast with the game its a shame that this is the last year for it
Ezekiel 25:17
jacopo2155
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Webster11 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:03 pm

Im thinking about buying the game and Im curious about the prosepcts being a part of the game. Can someone just describe the role of prospects in the game? it sounds very interesting
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jzfran » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:18 pm

MVP 2004-I update a new game evry 2 yrs or so

3rd year dynasty, fantasy draft and FA only (I didn't cheat at all, except no salary cap)

Reyes
Soriano (FA)
A-Rod (2nd round somehow?)
Pujols
J. Guillen (FA)
Blalock
teixera
Baldelli
Berroa (made up guy who comes with MVP 2004, 20 HR, 80 RBI, bad avg)

Pitchers
Prior
Peavy
C Zambrano
Bonderman
cant remember the 5th

Key is to draft very young. I get no one over 25 years old EVER!
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:03 pm

Really I think I can take your guy's teams.. here's my roster

c: Johnny Bench
1b: Jimmie Foxx
2b: Jackie Robinson
3b: Scott Rolen
SS: Honus Wagner
OF: Ruth
OF: Mantle
OF: Pujols

SP: Walter Johnson
SP: Cy Young
SP: Tom Seaver
SP: Bob Gibson

SU: Rollie Fingers
CL: Dennis Eckersly

I think you all have great teams and all.. but I think my picks are pretty solid :-b :-b
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RC » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:38 pm

This is the year wrote:RC, what other noticeable differences are there from All Star to MVP? I was thinking about playing a few series on MVP if i continue to win 2/3 of my games.

Working the count is good advice. It's funny though, sometimes I feel like I rope a pitch with a guy like David Ortiz or Trot Nixon (against RHP) and it just flies out to the warning track or hits a liner directly at the RF. I probably just haven't mastered it yet.

I'd honestly say the MVP fielding mode is the biggest difference.

Picture a screeming liner down the thrid base line and not having the computer move you over in line with the ball slightly. Or having to run your fielder into the circle that shows where a pop fly is going without having the player 'lock in'. Really tough. Luckily you can set the fielding mode to the traditional 'manual' and still play the MVP mode.

I have noticed that balls that would have gone out in 2004 tend to end up as pop flies. There were too many 500' HR's in 2004, if you ask me and I find 2005 much more realistic in that sense. Rarely see a ball go more than 420 in MVP mode.

Pitchers tend to throw many more balls in MVP mode unless you take pitches and force them into hitter's counts. But that's the same as 2004 in MVP mode.

But patience when you're playing MVP level for the first time is key.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RC » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Webster11 wrote:Im thinking about buying the game and Im curious about the prosepcts being a part of the game. Can someone just describe the role of prospects in the game? it sounds very interesting

There are both real life and made-up prospects.

One thing for 2005 that I like is you can set someone's career potential. Jason Bay had a good career potential, so his numbers went up accordingly after a few dynasty seasons in 2004, but the rate of improvement was generally too slow for the rate of attrician some clubs had to deal with for most porspects.

In 2005, if a player has a good year in real life, you can add him if he's not there and you can change his career potential if he is there, but his numbers don't add up. Someone like V-Mart last year had atrocious ratings because he came out of nowhere, so you had to manually increase his ratings, but they'd always go down by the next season and you'd have to re-adjust them. With 2005, it seems you can adjust the career potential and make sure the player imporves and maintains the proper ratings.

Seeing as EA Sports won't be making another baseball game for some time, I think they tried to make it as close to the 'last baseball game you'd ever buy'.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jzfran » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:05 pm

RC wrote:Seeing as EA Sports won't be making another baseball game for some time, I think they tried to make it as close to the 'last baseball game you'd ever buy'.
I dont keep up with EA News but why not?
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bd3521 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:11 pm

ESPN outbid rights for baseball. EA (Madden) got the rights for NFL.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:24 pm

That really pisses me off. Madden rules and so does MVP.

ESPN is trash, especially their MLB game. It's going to be sickening having to play that each year.

I hope EA continues to update the MVP rosters, even into next season. That would be sweet.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:29 pm

They won't have the rights to update the rosters next year so that's not going to happen.

What probably will happen though is that some members of the MVP development team will move to an in-house studio at Microsoft or Sony because the deal that Take Two got with MLB is an exclusive third party deal, so first parties like Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft can still make liscenced MLB games as long as they put up some cash.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers