WHATS YOUR BEST MVP 2005 TEAM??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHATS YOUR BEST MVP 2005 TEAM???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RC » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:37 am

This is the year wrote:I'm playing every game of this year with the Red Sox in Dynasty mode, I just got up to date in the real season last night. Thus far I've traded for Durham (great in the game) to be my starter at second, and last night I pulled off a trade of Millar and minor leaguers for Aubrey Huff. Tonight I'm going to get rid of the Fat Man and see if I can get Halladay

Man, that game is fun. What settings do people play on? I've found that I can rarely hit for power on All Star (what I play the season on), but I'm a pretty good gap/contact hitter. Pitching is way too easy though - I must have 10 CGSO, and Arroyo's looking like the early season AL cy young (2.05 ERA, 1 perfect game, 8 wins). Anybody have any hitting tips? I usually play with pitch cursor off, vibration off, hitter's eye on, strike zone and hot and cold zones off, throw meter off.

Edit: fair trades and budgets ON!

Work the count in your favour and sit on the fastball. I find hitting in MVP mode needs more patience than anything else.

The thing I can't handle in MVP mode is the MVP fielding. There's no help from the computer. It's tough.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:43 am

RC, what other noticeable differences are there from All Star to MVP? I was thinking about playing a few series on MVP if i continue to win 2/3 of my games.

Working the count is good advice. It's funny though, sometimes I feel like I rope a pitch with a guy like David Ortiz or Trot Nixon (against RHP) and it just flies out to the warning track or hits a liner directly at the RF. I probably just haven't mastered it yet.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:20 am

LOL, I'm not patient enough to work the count. :*) I also think the jump from Pro to All-Star is pretty big. I've never been any good at hitting in any version of the game, but I can absolutely mash against the computer in Pro, but All-Star is tough -- at least for me. Other than working the count how can I hit for more power? I want to move up to MVP if I can because I'm winning 3/4 of my games on AS, but I don't want to lose even more power than I already have. :-? I hate to go a third of the way through the season and Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds have 15 HR between them. :-[

As for the original question, I guess I play it like a sim more than a video game, as I try to keep my lineups as close to the current makeup of STL -- and the rest of the NL -- as I can. Though it's admitedly pretty tough after a while with all the DL stints, and trades. :-°

EDIT: And how can I get the computer to score more runs? I've got the sliders set to ridiculously favor the computer hitting and I've got my pitching control and meter difficulty at -50 and hot/cold zones and cursor off, but I still dominate. :-[
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j24jags » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:28 am

i like playing on allstar. i think its possibly to win evry game. theres a big difference from a great pitcher (buerhle) to some1 not as good (maroth). the comp still makes u pay for ur mistakes. MVP is too hard. i was about 2-10 w/ a very good team. All-Star im currently the Twins leading the division at about 12-7 which seems pretty good
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby This is the year » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:29 am

Hey Saints,

Good post, dude. I also found the jump from Pro to All star to be huge...When I play my friends in exhibition games, I usually hit 2 or 3 homers, though I don't get that many in a week on my All-Star season.

One suggestion I have, if you haven't done it already, is turn off the vibration in addition to the pitch cursor. It makes it a lot harder to locate your pitches, and will take some getting used to. Also, if you have "meter difficulty" at -50, wouldn't that make it much easier? I could be very wrong on this, because I haven't messed with the sliders very much.

I know how you feel about the power outage--in my Sox season, David ortiz has 2 homers on the season, and it's more than a third finished. At least he's hitting .315 with a bunch of doubles :-B

I like your idea of keeping it as a simulation, but I figured that I wouldn't be able to do that due to all of the circumstances you mentioned.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:36 am

i do agree w/ the power outage. thru about 19 games, besides morneau my team has 4 HRs (hunter, jacque, mauer, lew ford, lecroy, cuddyer, s stewart). Morneau has 4 of his own but its the rest of them team im mad about.
Last edited by j24jags on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bd3521 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:47 am

Some tips for those that want to try MVP. Be patient its hard! Getting solid batters is more important than having studs in your starting rotation.
If you make a bad pitch regardless of who is throwing it in MVP level its going to get mashed. You have to learn how to change speeds effectively, move the ball around the strike zone, and pitch in hitters cold zones. Also whenever you have two strikes on a batter try to catch a batter off guard and never let the ball get most of the plate (unless its 3-2 of course). Try to barely touch the corner early in the count and hope the ump is generous and gives you the K or the hitter chases one out of the zone.

For fielding in MVP it is a huge challenge because you get no support from the AI at all. You need quick position players with good range (I put Huff's slow fat ass at catcher).

Hitting is much harder on MVP and the hardest thing when it comes to winning game day in and out. Even with a stacked lineup the pitchers in MVP are much smarter and throw great pitches. Watch out for junk pitchers that are throwing mostly balls and making you impatient and swinging at balls. For these pitchers wait to get at least 1 strike before swinging (unless if that pitch is in the hot zone). Also PULL all inside pitches. The easiest home run eligible pitches to pull are the inside curveball and inside fastball. They go a mile! Also high fastballs tend to go a long way in the game. Finally, pitches out over the plate take to the gaps or slap the other way. The greatest advice I can give for hitting in MVP level is to be very patient, wait for the pitches i mentioned, and look at where the outfielders are playing you with their shifts. Don't forget to use the left d-pad to swing with location in mind. When I pull the ball i have it all the way left or straight up for power.

In the fantasy draft stack your lineup with hitters for average and power for the MVP level. If you learn how to nibble and change speeds with you average pitchers you will be amazed at your success.

Good luck!
Last edited by bd3521 on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby uucrook3d » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:48 am

just moved from all-star to mvp. all-star you really have to use the directional hitting( inside=pull, outside=other way) that is where you get all your power. baldelli is leading the league in hr right now after the break, which is too bad that in real life he might be out for the yearhey way, my twins team was regular rosters(NO DRAFT), fair trades and with the twins budget. i won the world series the first year so our budget went up a little. but i have made a ton of trades. i mean i traded for hallaaday, to trade for mulder so i could get peavy. you basically have to have some type of albatross contracts on your team( hello matt lawton :-B )
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silverZ » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:07 pm

Its been ahwile since ive rented it but my dynasty went something like this. (draft was on obviously)

C Piazza
1B d. Young
2B Eckstien
SS Arod
3B Hillenbrand
OF Vladdy
OF Crisp
OF Lofton
DH Surhoff

SP k. Wood
RP Benetez
RP Rincon

bah cant remember the rest of my rotation but it was pretty good. I'm about 3 games over .500 half way through the season on allstar.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby bd3521 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:12 pm

Arod kills the budget and the payroll. With his salary you can't trade him too. Chipper Jones is also well paid and impossible to move.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers