Aaron Boone... Does anyone see a potential second half buy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aaron Boone... Does anyone see a potential second half buy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aaron Boone... Does anyone see a potential second half buy?

Postby Mills13 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:40 pm

It looks like he's going to play his first full season and we all know what he did when he was on the Yankees. My calculation is that he's hitting .285, 5 runs, 4 RBIs, 2 SB's, and 2 HR's for the month of June. I'm not saying this is great, but does it flash potential and if not do you think he can perform after the all-star break?
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Yep I remember "Swing and a Miss" on the Yanks...Mr. .100 in the WS...the K machine...Mr. Slow bat and overrated glove.

And from the looks of what he has done in Cleveland so far, it looks like he is fully recovered.

Seriously, he was never very good in Cincy. A 250 hitter with a little speed in a hitter's park that helped his Hr totals and helped to mask a slow, undisciplined bat.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baseballnewb » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:36 am

The reds park slightly suppresses HR's... but yeah Boone was nothing special when healthy.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:50 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Yep I remember "Swing and a Miss" on the Yanks...Mr. .100 in the WS...the K machine...Mr. Slow bat and overrated glove.

And from the looks of what he has done in Cleveland so far, it looks like he is fully recovered.

Seriously, he was never very good in Cincy. A 250 hitter with a little speed in a hitter's park that helped his Hr totals and helped to mask a slow, undisciplined bat.

I'd say he's someone to consider if you lose your primary 3B and he has favorable matchups for the comming week.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:51 am

I agree with the other two posters though NOT to that degree. he is NOTHING special. It TOTALLY depends on what you have to give up for him and how deep your league is. He should not under any circumstances be on any roster of a 10 team mixed league......10 team AL ONLY leagues sure he belongs on a roster but only as a late late LATE round pick ,Injury fill in,or FA fodder. My point of view on him is this.....if you have someone on your team you are seriously considering dumping anyways, and you can instead trade THAT player for A.Boone then its a GREEEEEAT move. NO risk, pretty good chance for reward. He Is NOTTTTT going to bat .170 all year you can bet on that. However you can almost bet that he is NOT going to bat over .270 either. . Im Projecting .265-13hr-65rbi-55runs-and 11SB's.
Just my opinion for what its worth,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:08 am

Second half?? Are you kidding? Get him now!

He's been a totally different hitter at the plate (pretty much the same as he used to be before this season) for the last few weeks. Just look at his K/BB ratio which is fantastic compared to the funk he was in earlier in the year. He's over his slump, and if you want a 25/25 guy (although obviously he won't finish with those numbers because of the prolonged slump but that's the level he's playing at right now) then pick him up now before someone else does.

I started a thread about his new approach about a week ago that you can find. I was flamed by about ten people who obviously have never owned him before but a few wise souls agreed with me. At the least he's someone you can treat as the last guy on your bench and dump if someone better comes along since other people underrate him so much. And if he pans out you have a fantasy average 3rd baseman, which makes a great waiver wire pickup.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:56 am

I guess Im not one of the wise ones heheheheheh

Boone (we're still talking aaron right?) has never been much more then an average fantasy contributor in his prime. I really hope that this turn around is legit and he'll be solid the rest of the season, but lets not go jumping for Jesus over him.

Bill Halls, Dallas McPhersons, Fhonzos, cuddlyers, & Martes are probably all better fill in choices with better upsides then Boone and are probably available in pretty much all 10-12 team mixed leagues.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EK711 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:19 am

Iconoclastic wrote:Second half?? Are you kidding? Get him now!

He's been a totally different hitter at the plate (pretty much the same as he used to be before this season) for the last few weeks. Just look at his K/BB ratio which is fantastic compared to the funk he was in earlier in the year. He's over his slump, and if you want a 25/25 guy (although obviously he won't finish with those numbers because of the prolonged slump but that's the level he's playing at right now) then pick him up now before someone else does.

I started a thread about his new approach about a week ago that you can find. I was flamed by about ten people who obviously have never owned him before but a few wise souls agreed with me. At the least he's someone you can treat as the last guy on your bench and dump if someone better comes along since other people underrate him so much. And if he pans out you have a fantasy average 3rd baseman, which makes a great waiver wire pickup.

I agreed with you in that thread, and will agree with you again here. ;-D

As much as everyone will knock him, Boone has looked much, MUCH better at the plate recently. The only problem I can see from a fantasy viewpoint is the stolen base aspect. He is probably the best base stealer the Indians have (I don't mean speed wise here), but he's still got to show me he's got the wheels to do it before I'm sold on him swiping a ton of bags. But for deep leagues or people with some 3B problems I think Boone makes good sense to grab now.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm

In your face Boone haters!!! :-B :*) :-) }:-) B-) :-b :-] ;-D ;-) :-D

(high fives EK711)
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:27 pm

i'm with inco on this one. ;-D boone will never hit for a great average, but .275 isn't out of the question. i've stuck with him on a couple teams where i need to have a MI, and as some of my hot starters begin to fade, i'm ready for aaron to step right up and steal me some bags. i figure he can steal 15 the rest of the way if he runs, and once that clevland lineup gets swinging (and it really almost already has), he'll have nice periferals.

buy boone now if you can. or pick him up from waivers as the case may be. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers