Yankees switched away? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees switched away?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees switched away?

Postby The Jury » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:57 pm

I just sent away Soriano and Rivera and got Bret Boone and Curt Schilling in return. Any feedback?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Robman » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:01 pm

If you were deep at closer and steals then it wasn't a bad deal for u.
Robman

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:47 pm

Well, you traded away probably the best player in fantasy baseball in Soriano, and what I would consider to be about the 5th best closer (behind Smoltz, Gagne, Foulke and Wagner). You got back the 3rd or 4th best 2B and Schilling, who is arguably a first to second round pick. Unless your starting pitching is extremely weak, I don't really like the deal, because I think Schilling is on the decline this year and isn't really worth losing a 5 tool stud like Soriano for. In fact, I'd rather have Pedro, RJ, or any of the Oakland trio than Schilling for the rest of this season.

The deal would have been better if you had gotten him to throw in another closer, someone like Urbina in the deal so you won't be losing both steals and saves.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:53 pm

See I really dont give a shit about closes as the only thing they're good for is saves. There are quite a few relievers out there who can put up better numbers than closers except for saves, such as Brendan Donelly, LaTroy Hawkins, and Octavio Dotel to name a few. The guy wanted Rivera so I just gave it to him to get the deal done. There are only two pitchers who will regularly record 300 Ks in a season - Schill and RJ, and I got one. The dip from Soriano to Bret Boone really isn't that much compared to what I get from sendind a one category dude in Rivera for one of the best pitchers in the league and a monster stud in Schilling. I don't give a rats ass about steals or saves because I've got 14 other categories that I can win instead. That's the way I see it. Post up.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:56 pm

I was assuming a regular 5x5 league when I posted, so yes, in 16 category leagues, closers have less value, and so do guys like Soriano who have extra value due to their steals. The trade definitely makes more sense then given your league format.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjhksig » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:39 pm

What 16 categories do you have? Damn, that's a lot.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:30 pm

tjhksig wrote:What 16 categories do you have? Damn, that's a lot.

Our league has AVG, OBP, R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, K (batting), IP, W, L, SV, K (pitching), BB, ERA, WHIP.

I think that's 16...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Jury » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:15 pm

We've got...

Hitting: runs, hits, homeruns, rbi, stolen bases, walks, whiffs, total bases

Pitching: wins, losses, saves, walks, whiffs, era, whip, k/bb
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby timkell » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:43 am

Well, now that Schilling is out, this deal stinks.

What's your league rules? Did this guy know that Schilling was out until the all star break? In my league, if he did, and he withheld that from you, the trade could be reversed.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:48 am

His post about the deal was at 1:57 pm today, and noone knew about Schilling's hand being broken until like 7 pm tonight. As of this afternoon, everyone thought he was all go for starting tomorrow. Therefore, there is no way that he could have intentionally traded him knowing that his hand was broken, although if it was me, I would have waited until he made his next start just to make sure. Unfortunately, it just seems like bad luck of the draw and nothing you can really do about it.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers