Sheffield trade rumors... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield trade rumors...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:13 pm

blankman wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
blankman wrote:
rmeesig wrote:Glad they didn't. Not worth the contract. JD Drew would have been the better move IMO.


JD Drew? Come on man, that's just dumb. A young outstanding fielder with speed for the top of the lineup in CF is exactly what the team needed.


"dumb", huh?

$10mil C.Beltran 7HR 1SB .285/.342/.444
$9mil JD.Drew 11HR 1SB .280/.402/.502
$9mil G.Anderson 7HR 0SB .322/.344/.478
$1.15mil B.Clark 6HR 6SB .323/.384/.444
$365K C.Crisp 7HR 6SB .285/.344/.477

the shiniest tool in the toolbox isn't always the best one.


Using that as your argument further emphasizes how dumb that statement is. It's been what, 60 games and Drew has stayed healthy how many times? And he's as good in the field as Beltran? And he plays CF, the position the Yankees need desperately?

Give me a break.


It's GSIII you should be asking a break from. Remember when we HAD to have the best 1B available? How'd that turn out?

Again, it's too early to tell, but those who think the Yankees problems are a result of not signing Beltran and only Beltran aren't looking at the big picture.

The fact that the Yankee FO had no backup plan to Beltran is what's crippling this team now and for several years to come.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 683
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:17 pm

Drew was a better signing than Beltran.
Image
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 948
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:17 pm

rmeesig wrote:
blankman wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
blankman wrote:
rmeesig wrote:Glad they didn't. Not worth the contract. JD Drew would have been the better move IMO.


JD Drew? Come on man, that's just dumb. A young outstanding fielder with speed for the top of the lineup in CF is exactly what the team needed.


"dumb", huh?

$10mil C.Beltran 7HR 1SB .285/.342/.444
$9mil JD.Drew 11HR 1SB .280/.402/.502
$9mil G.Anderson 7HR 0SB .322/.344/.478
$1.15mil B.Clark 6HR 6SB .323/.384/.444
$365K C.Crisp 7HR 6SB .285/.344/.477

the shiniest tool in the toolbox isn't always the best one.


Using that as your argument further emphasizes how dumb that statement is. It's been what, 60 games and Drew has stayed healthy how many times? And he's as good in the field as Beltran? And he plays CF, the position the Yankees need desperately?

Give me a break.


It's GSIII you should be asking a break from. Remember when we HAD to have the best 1B available? How'd that turn out?

Again, it's too early to tell, but those who think the Yankees problems are a result of not signing Beltran and only Beltran aren't looking at the big picture.

The fact that the Yankee FO had no backup plan to Beltran is what's crippling this team now and for several years to come.


You didn't at all address what I said. You provided nothing to back up your statement that the Yankees should have signed JD Drew and not Beltran after I responded. I assume you mean to retract that dumb, yes dumb, statement now.

No one is saying Beltran was the answer, but he would have played a huge part in improving the team, most importantly on defense.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:19 pm

bselig wrote:Drew was a better signing than Beltran.


Well if you say so ;-7

How about a reason?

Anyone can go around saying this is better than that, but if you can't back it up, you shouldn't say it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:21 pm

bselig wrote:Drew was a better signing than Beltran.


Dollar for dollar, absolutely.

The only expectation on Drew was to stay healthy. People already knew he had the talent.

The expectations on Beltran was to be "the Man". Something he's only been able to do for a short stretch and brief playoff run. His career numbers show that he was playing over his head. Everyone knew it, even Omar Minaya - but he still chose to overpay.

Not saying Beltran won't improve, but from 2008-11 he's due 18.5mil per year. Does anyone REALLY think he's capable of performing at that level - basically better than say, Bobby Abreu?
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 683
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:26 pm

blankman wrote:You didn't at all address what I said. You provided nothing to back up your statement that the Yankees should have signed JD Drew and not Beltran after I responded. I assume you mean to retract that dumb, yes dumb, statement now.

No one is saying Beltran was the answer, but he would have played a huge part in improving the team, most importantly on defense.


I just did. Where is your "backup" that Drew was not the better signing?

BTW - please stop calling my opinion dumb simply because you don't agree with it. I'd appreciate it.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 683
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:42 pm

Dollar for dollar, I would agree that Drew was the better signing and that the Mets overpaid for Beltran. And the fact of the matter is that I'm glad the Yankees didn't sign him.

That being said, I'm still surprised Beltran isn't a Yank right now. They knew going into the season that Bernie had lost a step on the field and at the plate. Beltran has every tool in the book, he's a great fielder, hits for decent average, has power, and is one of the best base stealers in baseball. The fact that he hasn't been healthy all year and is still adjusting to the NL doesn't change any of those facts.

I will agree that he probably was overrated after his huge stretch run and playoffs for the Astros, but that doesn't diminish that he is a cornerstone-type player that the Yankees could have built around. I'm not saying that he's ever going to be "The Man," but with Jeter, ARod, Matsui, and Sheff around him he didn't have to be.

The fact that Steinbrenner opted to pick up Randy, Pavano, and pay $7M a year for Wright and not get Beltran too just blows me away. I mean even if you overpay Beltran by $4 or $5M a year, you could make that money back if you don't waste your money on JARET FREAKING WRIGHT! I mean he paid to bring in ARod, Giambi, Quantrill, Brown, and the other guys, and then he gets cheap when it comes to Beltran? Doesn't make sense.

Although I guess the one thing we never have to worry about with Georgie around is worrying about the future. He'll worry about that when he gets there.
Last edited by Big Pimpin on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:46 pm

I agree completely. ;-D

Like I said, the lack of a backup plan to Beltran is killing this team right now. Imagine if they had signed Drew BEFORE Beltran was ever signed. If that had happened, I think Beltran would have a little less $$ in the bank account.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 683
Joined: 5 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Octavian » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:52 pm

rmeesig wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Basically, they're going to trade Sheff to stockpile some cheaper talent, and then trade that talent for more parts to try to help them win now. I just don't see them keeping CPatt or Dubois or Mitre or whoever and rebuilding as a younger team.


Exactly.

Big Pimpin wrote:I still can't believe that they didn't sign Beltran. Of all the players that would have helped them now and in the future, he would have had to have been the best option.


Glad they didn't. Not worth the contract. JD Drew would have been the better move IMO.


Both of you are right. Beltran, I know he's good... but his contract was way bloated for what he can bring to your team. He's a hell of a CF, and he's got a bat... but his 40-40 ability isn't there this year, and I'm willing to be it doesn't return. This is a solid ballplayer, great to have... but not worth the what? 100+ he got this offseason? I read somewhere that the Yanks could signed him for 93 million at one point, and that'd have been a bargin? Mmkay. :-t

You know what really bites my grits? They didn't trade for or sign the man that Brian Cashman was all but begging George to sign... Vlad Guerrero. They Yankees could have had him, and HE would be the guy helping now... and into the future. That's the key guy the Yankees could have had, should have had and missed that hurts now and will hurt until Vladdy retires. :~(
Image
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 482
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:10 pm

rmeesig: where exactly would Drew play?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 27
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Pittsburgh
(12:35 pm)
Texas at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
Tampa Bay at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
NY Yankees at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Miami at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Colorado at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact