Why do people analyze their trade offers AFTER making them?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do people analyze their trade offers AFTER making them?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mugwump » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:27 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
LouisC9999 wrote:

After each gem, the other @sshole owner had his buddies veto the deal :-t :-t :-t

That is shady :-°

That is WAAAAAY shady. Are you still in that league?
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:34 pm

great gretzky wrote:I just did that to someone unfortunately.

I could use some steals, and when freel was going wild, I offered nick johnson and maddux.

The offer was rejected.

Then 5 days later the person asked if it still stood, and I said "no, sorry, I made a mistake in offering it, blah blah blah and I would need time to think about it"

I think with trading, you can get a one track mind. you get so focused in on a certian player or certian team, you can do something stupid. if someone points out something else to you -- then you can end up with the situation you have.

I can't complain too much if I actually reject a deal and then realize I should have done it...that has happened to me a few times actually, and believe me I'm kicking myself afterwards...but i agree, sometimes you are so focused on a particular player you don't realize what you are offering; but if it's not something you can live with you have know not to offer it or you risk alienating other teams in the league
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:44 pm

It's human nature to second guess. It's annoying, but that's the way we are. :-/
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:43 am

Talk about trader's remorse!
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:59 am

Happens all the time. People change their mind...so what? It is a free country and unless a deal was officially accepted by both parties, it has no binding nature to it. Someone can verbally or via email offer you a proposal, you can accept but until the originator says done/confirms it, it is not completed. People change their minds all the time...I have no problem with that.

Now if it becomes a pattern by an owner to getyou to up an offer, you simply stop wasting your time with that particualr owner and move on.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby whoson1st0 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:56 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Happens all the time. People change their mind...so what? It is a free country and unless a deal was officially accepted by both parties, it has no binding nature to it. Someone can verbally or via email offer you a proposal, you can accept but until the originator says done/confirms it, it is not completed. People change their minds all the time...I have no problem with that.

If I make an offer to a team, I stand by it. If I am not positive I want to do the deal, my email may say "are you interesting something like player A for player B" so as not to lock myself into those players and to start up negotiations.

Consider this hypothetical situation - Team A offers you clemens for Carlos lee and after negotiations to try to get an OFer along with clemens, Team A tells you the deal has to be Clemens for Lee. You then tell Team A you have to think about it and a couple hours later you send them an email agreeing to the deal. At this point you don't care if Team A backs out?
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:35 pm

Care? Eh. I would not be upset over it. Getting deals done is a pain and guys back-peddling or shifting gears is common place. Like I said, unless the guy confirms it then it is not a done deal. People change their mind in the few hours between initial proposal and your reply email all the time. It may be mildly annoying, but it is not like the guy hit the accept button and now wants to back out. You are right in that you should always hedge your initial proposal with proper language so that you do not appear to be locking yourself in on an initial set of players. However some people are just not that smart.

It is sort of par for the course of playing this game. Some owners are quick and decisive, others waffle. If the guy makes a habit out of this sort of thing then you should cease doing bisiness with him as it is a waste of time.

You can also look at it compared to the numerous idiotic offers you get from guys trying to rip you off...those guys never change their mind. They also never are willing to make a fair offer. I find the guy offering me Victor Santos for F. Cordero a lot more irritating than the guy who waffles on an initial email proposal that was at least reasonable.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:10 pm

All I ask is that if you change your mind, don't do it AFTER I've accepted. I've changed my mind and pulled offers before - but have not done so once the other guy has accepted.

Everybody can have second thoughts - no issue there. If you have second thoughts, pull the offer immediately. But don't let an offer sit, then change your mind after it has been accepted.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers