Why do people analyze their trade offers AFTER making them?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do people analyze their trade offers AFTER making them?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why do people analyze their trade offers AFTER making them?!

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:59 pm

This is purely a vent but I have to imagine others have been in this same situation.

Team A makes you a trade offer. After trying to negotiate a bit, Team A says sorry only the original offer will get the deal done. So you decide you need to think about it. It's likely you are at work and don't have time to sit an analyze every nuance. That evening you email Team A agreeing to the deal. The following day Team A has changed their mind, saying they had more of a chance to look at the deal and feel they are giving up too much!

Does this happen to anyone else? Does it drive you INSANE? Don't tell a team "this is what will get the trade done" and THEN change your mind within a few hours!
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:02 pm

What I like to do is offer too much w/ the 1st offer so the other owner knows what player of his I'm interested in and the main players that could be involved on my team. Once the trade e-mail has been sent, I cancel the trade offer. If he likes it, he'll send it back and we make the trade from there.

That's how I like to do it.

But I've never seen someone complain about a trade after making it. That would tick me off.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:16 pm

Most of us in the league are friends so we usually will send each other an email first to get discussions going. I don't get how you can like a trade enough to convince another team to do it, and THEN change your mind. Like by convincing the other team to do it you convinced yourself NOT to do it. That is a man who is easily influenced.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 79)

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:06 pm

This second guessing happens to me from time to time, but I, like everyone else, have to deal with it and the last minute worries involved. This friend of yours should know that there's risk involved in every trade, and that it could go in anyone's favor (whether through injuries, slumps, etc).

Hopefully you aren't taking his second thoughts to heart. Hey, he proposed it and gave you stiff arm during negotiations! No sympathy for the unresearched...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Agree - if they make an offer, and I accept, it annoys me when they change their mind. Its as if they think that by accepting their offer without negotiating that they offered too much and want to change their mind as they aren't taking advantage of me - rather than the fact that they made a fair offer and I accepted.

When I make an offer, I am prepared to have them accept the offer and won't reneg. I don't like it when others do it to me, so I don't do that to them.

That said, I may pull an offer if they take too long to decide - as long as they haven't accepted in the interim. Pretty classless, IMHO, to pull an offer after it has been accepted.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby LouisC9999 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:49 pm

Last season, I was trying to trade for Carlos Zambrano. I made two attempts and BOTH were accepted.

How could that be, you ask? Both times Zambrano pitched a gem after the deal was accepted and pending.

After each gem, the other @sshole owner had his buddies veto the deal :-t :-t :-t
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:33 pm

LouisC9999 wrote:

After each gem, the other @sshole owner had his buddies veto the deal :-t :-t :-t

That is shady :-°
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:56 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
LouisC9999 wrote:

That is shady :-°

That is the definition of collusion, but in a way I have never heard of before. This trade should have been pushed through by the commish and if it wasn't, you should have quit the league.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:38 pm

I just did that to someone unfortunately.

I could use some steals, and when freel was going wild, I offered nick johnson and maddux.

The offer was rejected.

Then 5 days later the person asked if it still stood, and I said "no, sorry, I made a mistake in offering it, blah blah blah and I would need time to think about it"

I think with trading, you can get a one track mind. you get so focused in on a certian player or certian team, you can do something stupid. if someone points out something else to you -- then you can end up with the situation you have.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fantasy Guru » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:02 pm

Even worse is when someone agrees to a trade if I go out to get a specific player to trade to them, and once I do that... they won't do that same deal.

Example:

I wanted Tejada, so I offered Mike Young and whatever player he wanted me to get. A pitcher, so I asked him if Carlos Zambrano and Mike Young were enough, and he accepted. Zambrano and Young for Tejada.

I got Zambrano, offered it to him, and guess what! He rejected it.

Then he offered me this:

Tejada and Rocco Baldelli

for

Mike Young, Carlos Zambrano, and Ben Sheets

You know I didn't accept it. :-t
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers