Should Yankees start to sell of the team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Should Yankees start to sell of the team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should the Yanks start dumping the Junk and Rebuild for the next WS run?

Yes....trade all the old junk and lets get ready for the next WS run
33%
No....give the team time to make a run for the championship again
33%
Indifferent...I just hate the Yankees
33%

Total votes : 12

Should Yankees start to sell of the team?

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:06 am

I read an interesting article by Joel Sherman NY Post. I know some of you are not from NY but for those that are they might be familiar with him. He suggested that it might be time for the Yanks to just build down the team for the short term. His suggestions included selling off the old players to contenders for young almost ready prospects. He suggested trading Sheffield (Braves have an interest), Gordon (Phillies have interest) Matsui and Posada. He only suggested trading Matsui in a rental situation with the intention of aggressively pursuing him in the offseason. He suggested parting ways with the rest if I recall correctly. The intention was to restock and rebuild the farm system and contend next year. Also because the Steinbrenner genius David Opperheim, wrecked this year's amateur draft for the Yanks. It's already around baseball that the Yanks screwed up the amatuer draft AGAIN.

So what do you think rebuild now for the future before we return to the dark ages of 65-75 and 82-94 or ride the horse to the finish line?

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:14 am

With all the contracts I don't think fair value (exceptional prospects) will be had for all those guys, unfortunately. I know the Yanks won't do it, but IMO, the guys they need to keep are: Jeter, Alex, Rivera, Sturtze, Gordon, Randy, Moose, Pavano, Matsui (as he said, a rental would be fine with me), Cano, Wang.

Mel absolutely needs for be fired, NOW. The staff has seen no improvement in any of it's pitchers in a long time. Mel just isn't helping anyone get better.

I've still got a little faith in this team, and I'm willing to give them until the end of June to get within a few games of the AL East.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:45 pm

blankman wrote:With all the contracts I don't think fair value (exceptional prospects) will be had for all those guys, unfortunately. I know the Yanks won't do it, but IMO, the guys they need to keep are: Jeter, Alex, Rivera, Sturtze, Gordon, Randy, Moose, Pavano, Matsui (as he said, a rental would be fine with me), Cano, Wang.

Mel absolutely needs for be fired, NOW. The staff has seen no improvement in any of it's pitchers in a long time. Mel just isn't helping anyone get better.

I've still got a little faith in this team, and I'm willing to give them until the end of June to get within a few games of the AL East.

I agree with you for the most part but it would not kill me to see Rodriguez, Gordon, Randy or Pavano go.

If they could somehow sell of everyone else and build a decent array of prospects, I'd do it, I just don't know how real that idea can be.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:19 am

As long as George is running the show and Stick is in the background, it is what it is. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:As long as George is running the show and Stick is in the background, it is what it is. :-o

I agree. However, George isn't in the greatest health, and he can only exercise his iron grip for so long. And Michael hasn't left the building yet, even if he's one foot out the door...
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:58 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:As long as George is running the show and Stick is in the background, it is what it is. :-o

I agree. However, George isn't in the greatest health, and he can only exercise his iron grip for so long. And Michael hasn't left the building yet, even if he's one foot out the door...

Well, I wonder if George won't pass along his methods to the next in line and Michael is just there in body. He has no say and that's a shame. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:55 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

Well, I wonder if George won't pass along his methods to the next in line and Michael is just there in body. He has no say and that's a shame. :-t

Well, I guess the question is, who is next in line? Are you refering to someone from the Brain Trust (which I'm still skeptical even exists, frankly :-D )? Seems the rational human being would see a) Michael's involvement and b) the success thereafter, and put it all together. If someone has the power, wouldn't they give Michael some say, or am I just being optimistic. And let's face it, there's only one George.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:28 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

Well, I guess the question is, who is next in line? Are you refering to someone from the Brain Trust (which I'm still skeptical even exists, frankly :-D )? Seems the rational human being would see a) Michael's involvement and b) the success thereafter, and put it all together. If someone has the power, wouldn't they give Michael some say, or am I just being optimistic. And let's face it, there's only one George.

I am quite sure that George's successor will be Steve Swindal. Not even blood. :-° I also don't see Stick getting another prominant role and that sucks.
Lofunzo

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:52 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

I am quite sure that George's successor will be Steve Swindal. Not even blood. :-° I also don't see Stick getting another prominant role and that sucks.

I don't know much about him besides the fact that he's a partner. But I can already see the "Steve Swindle" jokes. :-D

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:01 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

I don't know much about him besides the fact that he's a partner. But I can already see the "Steve Swindle" jokes. :-D

All that you need to know about him is that he married George's daughter. :-o
Lofunzo

Next

Return to New York Yankees