Any news on Big Hurt's latest injury? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any news on Big Hurt's latest injury?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any news on Big Hurt's latest injury?

Postby Padres y Tacos » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:43 pm

I heard that he limped off the field yet again after going 2/3 with a HR.
Padres y Tacos
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ditka311 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:16 am

"Thomas was in the starting lineup of Monday night's 8-1 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks as the designated hitter, going 2-for-3 with a home run before leaving the game with a cramp in his left leg in the sixth inning. Carl Everett, who had filled the DH role while Thomas was rehabbing a serious ankle injury, started in left field against the Diamondbacks."

From Chicagosports.com
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby checkers » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:38 am

Frank Thomas will miss at least one game with a left leg injury sustained tonight.
''Hopefully, it's a cramp and he'll be ready in the next couple days,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said after the game. Carl Everett will DH on Tuesday.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:17 am

That's why I have him...2/3 with a hr on the days that he plays. Lets me play someone else on the days when he's hurt. Can't argue with that! ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby sarnell2 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:03 pm

thomas is fine and should be back on wednesday or thursday...guillen has a rule that if a player leaves a game due to injury, they are not allowed to play in the next game...thomas' injury was caused from him doing a massive workout prior to the game, resulting in dehydration during the game...another factor they say is that he drinks way too much coffee...from now on he's not allowed to lift before games and has to significantly cut back on his coffee...let's hope he's in and feeling good on wednesday
sarnell2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:48 pm

It's not a huge deal. He'll just be benched for a couple games.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ActionHero » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:53 am

Might play tonight (Wednesday)

From the Chicago Tribune:
-----------
Thomas' wake-up call: Less coffee

Slugger hasn't been receptive to changing his workout routine until he suffered setback

By Mark Gonzales
Tribune staff reporter

June 15, 2005

White Sox slugger Frank Thomas admitted Tuesday he will have to change his workout routine to avoid nagging injuries like the left leg cramp that forced him to come out of Monday's game.

"What happened last night was definitely a wake-up call," Thomas said.

The admission comes after trainer Herm Schneider revealed Thomas hasn't been receptive to altering his routine until he suffers a setback.

"His body is changing and he needs to understand there are certain things he can't do that he use to do," said Schneider, adding Thomas has suffered from dehydration stemming from heavy coffee intake and that he should lift leg weights after games instead of before.

"He needs to back off from those things and change. Frank has a tendency not to listen until the horse is out of the barn. When the horse is out of the barn, then he starts to listen.

"He's understanding the game is a little fast for him. His mind is there, but his body needs to catch up to that."

Thomas could return to the starting lineup as soon as Wednesday night, provided the soreness subsides and he adjusts quickly to a new routine.

Leg lifting after games shouldn't be a problem for Thomas, but reducing his coffee consumption in the morning will be more difficult.

"I don't know if I can kill that habit," Thomas said. "I love coffee. . . . I pound coffee when I get to the ballpark. I like to stay dehydrated and keep motivated somehow, and that's how I do things."

Thomas, however, has little choice but to adjust. Since returning from a left ankle injury that sidelined him for 10 1/2 months, Thomas has smacked three home runs in 18 at-bats. But he missed a week of starting time because his ankle prevents him from playing first base.

Thomas said he put himself through a big workout before Monday's game, only to feel his leg tighten while rounding second after hitting a home run in the fourth and manager Ozzie Guillen eventually pulled him after he trotted to first on a single in the sixth.

The right hip flexor strain that he suffered in his first game back on May 30 stemmed from too much pregame work.

"If I'm not healthy, I'm not going to play," Thomas said. "I'm more frustrated by that. I'm starting to swing the bat and get in a rhythm. When I get into my rhythm, I'm going to make things happen."
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates