Is Hafner done? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Hafner done?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Hafner done?

Postby Tokugawa » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:23 pm

Just read this:

Jun 13 The Akron Beacon Journal reports Cleveland Indians 1B/DH Travis Hafner (triceps) will likely be limited to designated-hitter duty for the foreseeable future as his sore elbow and triceps heal.

It's not as if the guy has been playing 1st base anyway. If the team don't think he is capable of catching a few balls because of this injury, how do they expect him to swing a bat.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

How is this guy always injured when all he really does is sit in the dug out, only to appear every two innings or so to draw a walk!!!
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Kavorka » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:25 pm

Um . . . . . Hafner IS a DH. He's only played 1 game at 1B this year.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:28 pm

This guy has been the single biggest disappointment for my fantasy teams as I predicted him to carry Cleveland to contention for the Central this year and finish in the Top 5 in MVP voting as a result. He's making me look like a total moron and out of spite I'm not dropping him holding out hope that he puts up a good month or so. He's the only guy I'm being naive about this season and I refuse to budge no matter how useless he appears. He CARRIED my team for a couple months last year. Where have you gone Travis?!?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rotoworld » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 pm

Per Rotoworld.com last night....

Latest News Jun. 13, 2005 - 1:05 am et

Travis Hafner's sore elbow won't allow him to throw, which means he can only DH.
Manager Eric Wedge called Hafner's elbow a ''maintenance issue''. This all shouldn't matter much to fantasy leaguers as Cleveland will not play in anymore NL ballparks. If he hasn't qualified already at 1B in your fantasy league with his one appearence, he isn't going to.
Rotoworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rotoworld » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 pm

Travis Hafner's sore elbow won't allow him to throw, which means he can only DH.
Manager Eric Wedge called Hafner's elbow a ''maintenance issue''. This all shouldn't matter much to fantasy leaguers as Cleveland will not play in anymore NL ballparks. If he hasn't qualified already at 1B in your fantasy league with his one appearence, he isn't going to.
Rotoworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rotoworld » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:35 pm

Rotoworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tokugawa » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:09 pm

But it's not like you really have to throw the ball playing 1b ...

This doesn't really make much sense, seeing playing 1b is the least of his worries.

How is this going to affect him swinging a bat?

Didn't he have elbow surgery in the off-season anyway? Is this the same elbow or it his other one?

I am really beginning to hate the guy. I also predicted great things from him, and refuse to drop him along with my other major underachievers Beltre and Hideki Matsui.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:40 pm

Yeah this is something to worry about. Didn't he get shut down last season because of that elbow?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AlexF6262 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:56 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:This guy has been the single biggest disappointment for my fantasy teams as I predicted him to carry Cleveland to contention for the Central this year and finish in the Top 5 in MVP voting as a result. He's making me look like a total moron and out of spite I'm not dropping him holding out hope that he puts up a good month or so. He's the only guy I'm being naive about this season and I refuse to budge no matter how useless he appears. He CARRIED my team for a couple months last year. Where have you gone Travis?!?

I agree with everything except the bolded part, I wasnt evn that crazy with him. However, I thought after having him last year and him helping me so much, and having him this year, I thought i had a gem. Still waitin for the rock to crystalize.. yeah yeah bad joke, oh well :-D

Pujols, Sheff, Carpenter, Delgado... all the way to the top!
AlexF6262
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Is Hafner done?

Postby EK711 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:25 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Jun 13 The Akron Beacon Journal reports Cleveland Indians 1B/DH Travis Hafner (triceps) will likely be limited to designated-hitter duty for the foreseeable future as his sore elbow and triceps heal.

It's not as if the guy has been playing 1st base anyway. If the team don't think he is capable of catching a few balls because of this injury, how do they expect him to swing a bat.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

How is this guy always injured when all he really does is sit in the dug out, only to appear every two innings or so to draw a walk!!!

Well the arm supposebly got tweaked a little when Hafner took a pitch on it during on AB when he forgot to wear his elbow pad. I think that was about a month ago, and I remember writing it off as nothing really until this trip to the NL. But Hafner really hasn't looked bad at the plate at all yet this year, so I think it's a bit early to start panicking on him. He did start of slow last year, and really only put up studly numbers in July and August. Until someone from the team actually says that his sore arm is effecting his swing I wouldn't worry about it. People's expectations aren't being reached, but remember that Hafner only had 9 HR through June last year, and the current RBI totals are a result of people not being on base.

I'm actually kind of optimistic for Hafner in the near future with Coco and Grady starting to hit and batting in front of him.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers