Prince Fielder set to debut in Tampa Bay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prince Fielder set to debut in Tampa Bay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sunspot » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:41 pm

Heres another question. When is a good time to grab him possibly for good? What I mean is, there will be a point this year when he will be up for more than a week. With minimal bench spots, I can't afford to stash him now, Someone else might get him though. Will he help a playoff caliber team this year?
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:10 pm

Sunspot wrote:Heres another question. When is a good time to grab him possibly for good? What I mean is, there will be a point this year when he will be up for more than a week. With minimal bench spots, I can't afford to stash him now, Someone else might get him though. Will he help a playoff caliber team this year?

Barring an injury, I doubt it unless or until MIL drops out of playoff contention. Until then, I just can't see him getting significant PT until September.

From what I remember, the front office in MIL feels you can get more for a player like Overbay in the off-season. If Prince does halfway decent, I can easily see MIL shopping Overbay this off-season - but not until then.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:44 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
Sunspot wrote:Heres another question. When is a good time to grab him possibly for good? What I mean is, there will be a point this year when he will be up for more than a week. With minimal bench spots, I can't afford to stash him now, Someone else might get him though. Will he help a playoff caliber team this year?

Barring an injury, I doubt it unless or until MIL drops out of playoff contention. Until then, I just can't see him getting significant PT until September.

From what I remember, the front office in MIL feels you can get more for a player like Overbay in the off-season. If Prince does halfway decent, I can easily see MIL shopping Overbay this off-season - but not until then.

Yep, I could see that too. They proved the "off-season" theory with the Dan Kolb, Keith Ginter, and Scott Podsednik deals this past offseason.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Andy1234 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:01 pm

0-4 today - lets see how he does tomarrow
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:11 pm

Andy1234 wrote:0-4 today - lets see how he does tomarrow

Seemed a bit to anxious tonight, which is to be expected. He did swing at strikes which is good, but he never worked the count, if he saw one he liked he went ahead and swung the bat.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby djack909 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:09 pm

Compare what is available on your bench and in the free agent pool (1B) with what you could expect from PF. Now make the same comparison (2b) with what you could expect from Weeks. Enough said.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:49 am

definitely a very exciting time for brewers fans with hardy, prince, and weeks all in the big leagues at the same time.... ;-D

hopefully prince will relax a little bit today, and get a few hits for us
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:56 pm

I concur with the exciting brewers statement. The youth of the team is a positive and shows the potential of the team for the future.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:25 pm

Here's my question: even if Prince doesnt stay in the bigs after the weekend, is he worth adding to a team in a keeper league? In other words, will it be worth it to hold him on my roster so that I can keep him (as one of 10 keepers) for next year? In yet other words, will he be good enough next year to be (roughly) one of the 140 best fantasy players?
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sammyfan711 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:37 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:Here's my question: even if Prince doesnt stay in the bigs after the weekend, is he worth adding to a team in a keeper league? In other words, will it be worth it to hold him on my roster so that I can keep him (as one of 10 keepers) for next year? In yet other words, will he be good enough next year to be (roughly) one of the 140 best fantasy players?

He should be starting for the Brewers in '06. Maybe sooner see as Lyle Overbay is currently involved in several trade rumors.

Top 140 might be a stretch for next year but reasonable for '07. It took a couple of years to become a dominant AL 1B.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers