Couple of Legends.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Couple of Legends....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Couple of Legends....

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:10 pm

Just wanting to get some thoughts on a couple guys playing for the low-A affiliate here in Lexington. I haven't been to any games this year but I listen to them a lot on the radio and a couple of guys have caught my eye/ear so far and I was wanting to see if they're the real deal. BTW, this is the Sally League so I'm not sure how it compares with other leagues in terms of hitters/pitchers parks, but there are some impressive numbers on both sides.

Hitters:
Hunter Pence
He's pretty old for low-A (22) but his numbers are pretty impressive nonetheless.
234AB .346/.423/.718 23HR 7SB 52RBI

Pitchers:
Troy Patton
He's only 19 and has been lights out so far. He's consistently up in the low-mid 90's from what I can gather and from the left side that is pretty much a guarantee for at least a look in the show.
64.1IP 78SO 17BB 0.98ERA 0.92WHIP

James Barthmaier
71.1IP 72SO 31BB 1.77ERA 1.01WHIP
Just turned 21 in January so he's kind of old for low-A isn't he? :-?

I was wanting to go out and catch a couple of games before some of these guys get called up since most of the really good players don't stick around here too long it seems. :-/ I'm not sure when his next start is, but I'd really like to catch Patton a couple times since he seems to be wowing the scouts -- and the broadcasters -- so far. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:41 pm

Something else I thought of. Who are some of the other Sally teams I need to catch when they come to town? I know I missed Young when they came to town last year and there were a couple more I'm kicking myself about missing. :-/
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:27 pm

Patton I think is one to watch, he looks like a steal right now. He dropped to the 9th round last year due to most thinking he was a lock to go to Texas, but obviously he didn't. Troy works pretty much low 90's, but he had one of the best curveballs in the draft and is advanced pitching wise. Another thing to like about him is that he has a real knowledge about the game and is constently wanting to learn how to improve.

When he was in H.S. he biggest flaw would be his delivery, as it wouldn't be consistent in the same arm slot, etc. But so far it doesn't look like he is having any trouble with it.

It will be easier to tell how good he is once he is moved up, a lot of times pitchers with really good breaking balls that know how to pitch will eat up Low A hitters.

Some other players to watch for in the SAL would be:
Chris Nelson (Ashville), Phil Hughes (Charleston), Gaby Hernandez (Hagerstown), Gio Gonzalez (Kannapolis), Mark Rogers (West Virginia), Neil Walker (Hickory).

BTW the SAL is for the most part a pitchers league, in case you wanted to know.
Last edited by hybrid on Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:53 pm

Thanks for the info and the heads up. ;-D I've been trying to get out to a few more games this year, but my schedules just been way to hectic lately. :-°
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minor League & College Baseball