SP Rankings - 3 Cheat Sheets combined - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP Rankings - 3 Cheat Sheets combined

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP Rankings - 3 Cheat Sheets combined

Postby mrmarley » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:48 pm

Hey guys, I thought someone might find this helpful. I took sportingnews, fantasyref and sportfanatics rankings, avg'ed the 3, and came up with this list:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/baseballke ... tchers.htm

Hope it helps someone out there :)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:41 pm

Randy Wolf #16? And that was one of two guys I'd have dropped for sure! :-o
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:10 pm

I have never used a cheat sheet, probably because i have never seen a accurate one. I always look at the mags top 50 or 100, and hope my comp is taking it in.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:05 am

I hate it when I see rankings with Wolf that high.

I was hoping to trade my 5th pick overall in our draft to #9 or so and get Wolf. Looks like I don't have that luxury.

Tom
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Take someone else's generalized advice with a grain of salt

Postby navycruise » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:50 am

Vazquez is ranked higher than Byrd? hmmm.... I guess one needs to apply good sense before drafting based on the rankings of others.
After all, it's illogical to provide potential competition with good advice (that's the only way I can rationalize some of the things always seen in pre-season rankings -- regardless of sport or publication)......
navycruise
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby The Natural » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:15 am

I guess I don't find it too odd that Vazquez is higher than Byrd. Look at the stats from the last couple of years.

ERA WHIP K W
Vazquez
'01 3.42 1.08 208 16
'02 3.91 1.27 179 10

Byrd
'01 4.44 1.41 52 6
'02 3.90 1.15 129 17

Vazquez has posted decent numbers 2 years in a row now (although his wins are a little low). Byrd has had one good year.

I don't think you can find Vazquez being ranked higher that disturbing but you are right, everyone should use their own rankings based on their leagues rules.
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrmarley » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:14 pm

Didn't mean for this to be the end-all/be-all guide to SP's, just thought it might be helpful for someone that wanted to see where SP's are being ranked for the upcoming season according to a few combined sources.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion as to their own rankings, which I definitely agree is the way to go if you're knowledgable enough in fantasy baseball...that way, you can take all the credit (or blame) for how your team ends up after the draft :)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby navycruise » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:31 pm

Neither did I mean to imply that draft cheat-sheets were useless. Although published rankings can, and probably should, serve as a good gauge during pre-draft preparation, I just wanted to clarify the point that we must all use them with guarded caution.

When I was drafting my first Fantasy team I made the big mistake of relying on them almost exclusively realizing that the prog.'s probably had better intuition than did I (after all, they get paid for it)... On the contrary, I spent a six agonizing months attempting to atone my lineup from the mistakes made in that very draft which directly resulted from following their expert advice to the exteme.

While, I realize very few of us are that naive (based on the astute post's I've seen on this site), I just wanted to put out a red-flag for any rookies in our midst. B-)
navycruise
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mrmarley » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:37 pm

Thx Navy, I hear ya :)

I did the same thing my first season...I still have to ask for a lot of advice and such these days, but I'm better about not following the cheat sheets word for word...I do like to see what the "experts" think though, just to give myself an idea of what order players might get drafted.

I see your point about putting up a red flag though...good call =)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:32 pm

MR Why are they called experts? While they could be, writing a book, mag, or having a website doesnt aotomatically make you one. It could mean you had the resources or connections for it. If you look at TSN top 300, the new fantasy mag, Jeter is listed 8th. Hunter at 38, and Castillo at 43, are listed ahead of many guys better. I could go on and on. Loduca at 60 over Mulder at 64.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers