Lowell to the Dodgers?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lowell to the Dodgers??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lowell to the Dodgers??

Postby Prior22 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:39 am

they are ready & willing to deal Beltre to get Lowell & now they have Joe Thurston who they are also looking to trade away. Looks like the Cubs are gonna get screwed
Prior22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:32 am

All signs point to the Cubs acquiring Matt Williams, as long as the Diamondbacks eat some or all of his $10 million salary. I can't say I'm nearly as excited as I'd be if they could get Lowell.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby tjhksig » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:58 pm

I heard Matty is going to Coors..
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:20 pm

i don't know if the cubs are going to go out and overpay for lowell's services. his career year-esque season seems to be the worst thing that could have happened to the cubs, as it was a forgone conclusion that they were going to shoot for him this season. he's never hit more than 24 home runs in a season, never knocked in more than 90, and yet he's on pace for 45/120 or something like that.

the marlins have to be giddy, as their returns for him will be more substansial than they ever thought... but i'm weary of acquiring him. i don't think that he'll keep up this pace, and i think a 33/110 season is far more likely. not only that, but whoever acquires him is going to place a load of pressure on him to be a vital component of a championship level offense... and it has yet to be seen how this will work out. then again, if he's a FA after this year, this might explain why he's going bonkers. but i can't reiterate enough that he's going to likely cost more than he's worth, and at some point he will return to earth while the marlins get good talent back for him.

personally, i'd like to see the cubs get luis castillo. his perennial .320/40 steals game will give the cubs' middle lineup of patterson/sosa/alou/choi more rbi ops.. rather than relying on ~30 year old guys in grudzielanek and gonzalez to be your big run producers, i'd much rather see castillo be that for them.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:40 pm

Lowell's success this season wasn't very suprising to me. The power is suprising, but not the success. The Marlins got Pierre and Ivan Rodriguez in the off season. You've got Pierre and Castillo in the 1-2 slot leading off and both have great speed. Pudge hitting 3rd and Lowell 4th, or vice versa. All of that equals men on base and men in scoring position for Lowell. I guessed before the season started that he would probably go .280-30-100. Pretty good for a 3B that no one payed attention to in the off season. And a shallow position to boot. I've got him in 3 of my 5 leagues and didn't take him above round 10 in any of them.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:12 pm

Ahhh, but let's not forget that a very young Adrian Beltre would escape Chavez Ravine. I hope that Lowell and Beltre do swap. It would be a huge boost for Beltre. new team, new manager, new start. Ohh and they make almost the same amount this year, that is always huge in a trade deal ..
Beltre Limetime split's ..
.. .. .. AVG OBP SLG
Home .239 .310 .376
Away .285 .336 .467

the big number here is not the Avg. but the SLG.. IMO

Pull the deal LA/FLA it a win .. win
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:18 pm

tjhksig wrote:I heard Matty is going to Coors..

Matty will end up in CHC. Dusty is platooning three guys there now .. and everybody knows that Dusty loves veteran's .. they will wait the 10 days and sign him for the minimum .. ARZ will eat the salary .. IMeO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Nero » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:34 am

going to Chavez Ravine would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Lowell...there go his power numbers...
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Prior22 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:31 pm

'd love for the Cubs to deal Hill for Luis Castillo, the guy hits .300+ every year & gets 30+ SB. he'd be a great fit atop the Cubs lineup, finally they get a leadoff hitter that gets on base & can steal bases
Prior22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby miller24 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:36 pm

The Cubs aren't going for Williams.. FYI
miller24
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers