Huff may be history with the D-Rays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Huff may be history with the D-Rays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Huff may be history with the D-Rays

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:20 pm

Now that he's publicly lambasted management, Huff is almost sure to be dealt.

No idea on where he lands, but I'll be mildly surprised if he's wearing Rays colors two weeks from now.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Huff may be history with the D-Rays

Postby nsulham » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm

thehat wrote:Now that he's publicly lambasted management, Huff is almost sure to be dealt.

No idea on where he lands, but I'll be mildly surprised if he's wearing Rays colors two weeks from now.

He's blasted them in public? Link?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm

guess i must have missed it .....what did he say? I would LOVE to see him go,,,,,,almost ANYWHERE HAS to be an improvement

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bryan1327 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:30 pm

Found the article in the St Petersburg Times.

The nightmare season keeps getting scarier

PIRATES 18, RAYS 2: Aubrey Huff sums up a long night and a long, long road trip: "I've never seen anything stink like this."
By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer
Published June 12, 2005

PITTSBURGH - It's obvious how bad things are right now for the Devil Rays.

Saturday's 18-2 bashing by the Pirates was the latest in their litany of embarrassing defeats, a sorry stretch in which they've lost seven straight, 10 of 11 on the roadtrip that mercifully ends today, and 12 of their past 13.

But with key players struggling and hurt, no indication the front office will make any upgrades and a challenging portion of their schedule looming, they have to face the very real - and somewhat discouraging - possibility that things actually could get worse.

"I've never seen anything stink like this," said rightfielder Aubrey Huff, who has been a Ray longer than any of the others. "This is bad. You can keep saying, "Keep your head up, keep your head up, good things will happen.' But good things never seem to happen around here."

It's hard for much good to happen as badly as they've played.

They're on the verge, at 20-42, of dropping past Kansas City for the worst record in the majors.

They're on pace for 110 losses, which would be the most in the history of a franchise that is steeped in losing tradition.

They've matched the worst road start in modern history at 4-28, something done only by the 1982 Twins, 1916 Athletics and 1904 Senators.

Specifics?

They have the highest team ERA in the majors (5.94), have allowed the most runs (393, an average of 6.3 a game) and issued the most walks in the AL (260). Plus, they've made the most errors in the majors (56, after making three Saturday), have the worst fielding percentage (.974) and have allowed the most unearned runs (40, after giving up six more).

Could it get worse?

"It's already spiralled out of control," Huff said. "Are you kidding me? We've won four games on the road. We get beat in every which way possible. How could it get any worse? Oh man, I'll tell ya, if this happens like this the rest of the year, I don't know how much more guys can take. It's mentally frustrating. Tough to come to the ballpark when you're playing like this. Zero fun right now."

Saturday was their worst loss of the season. Scott Kazmir, who had looked so good over his previous four outings, wasn't sharp from the start, putting the first four on. Overall, the pitchers, fresh off a Friday staff meeting, allowed a season-high-matching 20 hits. The fielders made three errors and botched a half-dozen other plays. The batters managed only seven hits and struck out 10 times.

"We're big leaguers, and we've got to act like it," said Eduardo Perez, a veteran of 12 major-league seasons. "We've just got to go out there and battle and keep playing. You start putting your head down, you're going to get your a-- kicked, and that's the bottom line."

Manager Lou Piniella has kept relatively calm, but that too may end in a matter of time. His frustration is mounting, particularly with the shoddy defense and poor pitching.

Since Piniella said Thursday afternoon they'd hit rock bottom, the Rays have lost three games by a combined score of 39-9.

Is there anything that can be done?

"Where do we make changes?" Piniella said. "I don't know. Where do we make them? The only people that can get this thing stopped are the players."

Makes you wonder if this is why he did not start today?? :-?
"I am a shining example...of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:38 pm

A trade would be the best thing for Huff. He is obviously frustrated in TB.

As to TB, what did they expect? They spend next to nothing on their pitching which has always been one of the worst in the league. Has their pitching been that much worse than last season? I doubt it but I have not looked it up. Somehow I doubt the loss of Victor Zambrano is that meaningful.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:41 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:A trade would be the best thing for Huff. He is obviously frustrated in TB.

As to TB, what did they expect? They spend next to nothing on their pitching which has always been one of the worst in the league. Has their pitching been that much worse than last season? I doubt it but I have not looked it up. Somehow I doubt the loss of Victor Zambrano is that meaningful.
Maybe they'll trade Huff to the Mets for Reyes AND Wright this year ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bryan1327 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:42 pm

Another quote by Huff that was in an article on their sight.

"It can't continue to be like this every year," Huff said. "We're just not making any strides to get better. Every year, it's the same song and dance -- other teams are getting better. Look at Arizona. They were one of the worst teams in baseball last year, and they've gotten better. Something's got to be done. ... We really honestly can't mentally handle a season like this if it goes on like it has. It's got to get better."

Link here for the whole article..

http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASAp ... sp&c_id=tb
"I am a shining example...of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:42 pm

Lou Piniella really piled on to this situation today.. from Sportsline:

Piniella: D-Rays owners 'not interested in the present'

June 12, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH -- Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella, weary after a recent run of blowout losses and embarrassing performances, ripped the last-place team's ownership Sunday for not caring about winning now.

Piniella said the New York-based owners who bought a controlling share of the perennially poor-performing franchise a year ago don't seem to care about Tampa Bay's current on-field product.

"They're not interested in the present, they're interested in the future. And that's their right," he said. "But when other teams are getting better presently, you're going to get your butts beat and that's exactly what's happening."

Piniella's remarks came barely 12 hours after an 18-2 loss to the Pirates, the sixth time since May 29 the Devil Rays allowed 10 or more runs in a loss. They were outscored 25-4 in the first two games of the interleague series in Pittsburgh and gave up a remarkable 50 runs in a four-game stretch from Wednesday through Saturday.

The former Yankees, Reds and Mariners manager suggested he is tiring of constantly giving excuses for the Devil Rays' poor play. They beat Pittsburgh 7-5 in 13 innings Sunday, but still went 2-10 on a road trip that saw them lose four consecutive games they led by three runs or more.

"I'm not going to take responsibility for this," Piniella said in pregame remarks to reporters. "If I had been given a $40 million or $45 million payroll, I'd stand up like a man and say it's my fault. Well, I'm not going to do it. So if you want answers about what's going on here, you call the new ownership group and let them give them to you."

The Devil Rays began the season with a $29,893,567 payroll that was about $7 million lower than any other major league team. Only the Pirates ($38.1 million) and Royals ($36.88 million) had payrolls below $40 million.

A group headed by New York investor Stuart Sternberg bought 48 percent of the team just over a year ago. Former owner Vince Naimoli owns about 15 percent of the team and remains as the managing general partner. Limited partners who have no say in running the team own the remaining 37 percent.

At the time he bought into the team, Sternberg said a major emphasis would be retaining a core of young players and player development.

Naimoli, who attended the series in Pittsburgh, wouldn't comment on Piniella's remarks. Asked about the state of the team, he said Piniella should answer any such questions.

"When I came here three years ago, we talked about a situation where we wanted to win now and we were interested in winning now," Piniella said. "And you know what? With a small payroll we (improved) from 55 (victories) to 63 and then to 70. This was supposed to be a breakout year. The problem is we've got a new ownership group here that's changed the direction of where we're headed."

Piniella, who left Seattle for the chance to manage his hometown team, clearly doesn't like that direction. It's a major turnaround from Seattle, which won a combined 300 games in his final three seasons there from 2000-02, including 116 victories in 2001.

The Devil Rays lost eight of their first nine games in June, despite playing all games against teams .500 or below. Their 5-28 road record is one of the five worst in the majors at this stage of a season since 1900.

The 1998 expansion franchise finished last in the AL East every season until last year, when it finished ahead of Toronto.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

----

Well, at least they won't finish ahead of the Jays this year.. that was embarrasing.. !+)
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bd3521 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:44 pm

Saw a special on ESPN that was about the team likely ousting its cheap owner. Huff had some pretty putrid feelings on tv as well.
Last edited by bd3521 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mets4Life » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:49 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:A trade would be the best thing for Huff. He is obviously frustrated in TB.

Maybe they'll trade Huff to the Mets for Reyes AND Wright this year ;-D

Ha.........ha

I would personally make sure the Mets never sell another ticket if that ever happened :-t
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers