Helton and Huff - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Helton and Huff

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Helton and Huff

Postby booboo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:08 pm

I've got both these duds as my starting 1B and 3B.

I know historically Huff is a slow starter. Is this year any different?
Isn't he in a contract year?

I read that Helton has lost some bat speed. Is it the lack of protection in the lineup?

Will these guys bounce back? or is time to look elsewhere?

I've got Ensberg and Klesko on the bench who are putting up significantly better numbers. But I don't think I can win my league with Ensberg and Klesko starting.
booboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:27 pm

They will bounce back, it's just a matter of time.

In the meanwhile, if you've got an adequate replacement on your bench (and it sounds like you do), then plug them into your lineup until Huff and Helton start showing signs of life.

The contract year thing is a myth, but Huff should put up very good 2nd half numbers, especially if/when he gets traded.

Helton, I'm a little less sure of. He's been atrocious lately, but he's too good to be mired in this kind of slump for too much longer. Lineup protection has nothing to do with the fact that he's just not seeing the ball well. He'll come around.

Fret not, but in the meantime, I'd start Klesko and Ensberg...just don't drop Huff or Helton. Wait on them, they'll be there when all is said and done.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WittyC » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Huff will get going -- no doubt. In the mean time his 8 stolen bases have been a pleasant surprise to help compensate for his lack of production in the other four cats.

I'd say the same about Helton. He's just too good of a hitter to continue to slump like this. Pretty much everyone who's played with him has agreed that he's the best hitter they've been around. In the meantime, Hee Sop isn't a bad fill-in considering how hot he's been. Just get him in against righties and enjoy!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:25 pm

I also have Helton at first and Huff at third. I've decided I'm just leaving them in there and figuring the numbers will come around by the end of the year. I just hope I'm right. :-o

Honestly, I'm not sure what else us Helton/Huff owners can really do. I'll admit that I'm tempted to bench them until they start hitting, as you've done, but as soon as either one has a half-decent game I know I'd just stick him right back in the lineup, so I decided not to bother.

(And for the record, I feel really slick now for buying "low" on Helton a few weeks ago... !+) )
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:58 pm

Huff is unhappy, and he's playing like it.
A trade might do the trick, although I doubt he'll keep up his stolen base rate on any other team.
Whether he stays put or not, he's been one of the best second-half guys of the past two years. No reason not to expect more of the same. His splits don't even look like the same player.
I have him at first right now, but I just may have to bench him for Morneau. Oh, the dilemma. ;-D
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:03 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:(And for the record, I feel really slick now for buying "low" on Helton a few weeks ago... !+) )

Fortunes in baseball change more quickly than in any other sport. Just look at Victor Martinez or Vernon Wells or today's flavor Eric Chavez. A hot week from either of these guys, and you'll forget all about the first 2 months...remember Jeter, Sheffield, Teixeira last year?

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers