Orvella gets save - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Orvella gets save

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Orvella gets save

Postby Bobby Baseball » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:48 pm

Is he the new TB closer? We shall see..
Last edited by Bobby Baseball on Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:50 pm

He's far from the new closer. Baez is a little banged up, and Carter was asked to pitch over 2 innings in relief because TB doesn't trust Orvella enough to even let him pitch in setup! He was literally the closer by default tonight, so don't read in to it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Phantom Tag » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:40 pm

slomo007 wrote: and Carter was asked to pitch over 2 innings in relief because TB doesn't trust Orvella enough to even let him pitch in setup!.

Orvella threw 40 pitches the night before is why Carter was asked to go 2 innings
Phantom Tag
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:08 pm

I don't know what is confusing you guys here. Clearly, Piniella trust Carter more than Orvella Right now. When it was published on friday morning that Baez was getting the weekend off, it was quoted that carter would be used used in save situations. Orvella got the save in the 13th inning not the 9th. It seems like people always overeact to a situation before they actually look at the box score. A 13th inning save means jack squat in fantasy terms. Regardless its a moot point, because all reports say that Baez is just out for the weekend to rest his overworked arm.

If Baez were traded today, Carter would get the first shot at closing.
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Titanic Grizzlie wrote:I don't know what is confusing you guys here. Clearly, Piniella trust Carter more than Orvella Right now. When it was published on friday morning that Baez was getting the weekend off, it was quoted that carter would be used used in save situations. Orvella got the save in the 13th inning not the 9th. It seems like people always overeact to a situation before they actually look at the box score. A 13th inning save means jack squat in fantasy terms. Regardless its a moot point, because all reports say that Baez is just out for the weekend to rest his overworked arm.

Well put. In fact, despite the blown save today, I wouldn't be shocked to see Lou keep Carter in the closer mix. I'm not sure Baez has a lock on the gig even if he does stay in TB. Carter has experience in the role and he has actually been their best bullpenner of late. He looked good today as well, despite the bomb by Cota that forced extra innings.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:51 pm

thehat wrote:
Titanic Grizzlie wrote:I don't know what is confusing you guys here. Clearly, Piniella trust Carter more than Orvella Right now. When it was published on friday morning that Baez was getting the weekend off, it was quoted that carter would be used used in save situations. Orvella got the save in the 13th inning not the 9th. It seems like people always overeact to a situation before they actually look at the box score. A 13th inning save means jack squat in fantasy terms. Regardless its a moot point, because all reports say that Baez is just out for the weekend to rest his overworked arm.

Well put. In fact, despite the blown save today, I wouldn't be shocked to see Lou keep Carter in the closer mix. I'm not sure Baez has a lock on the gig even if he does stay in TB. Carter has experience in the role and he has actually been their best bullpenner of late. He looked good today as well, despite the bomb by Cota that forced extra innings.

Why would Lou do that though? That would not be smart to lower Baez's trade value by taking him out of the closer's role before you trade him. Plus, TB has nothing to play for anyways so it's not like there is a sense of urgency regarding losing the close games. I think Baez holds on to the job for another month or so and then we'll see Baez dealt and Carter with the job.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Why would Lou do that though? That would not be smart to lower Baez's trade value by taking him out of the closer's role before you trade him. Plus, TB has nothing to play for anyways so it's not like there is a sense of urgency regarding losing the close games. I think Baez holds on to the job for another month or so and then we'll see Baez dealt and Carter with the job.

agreed
;-D
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:53 pm

That says alot right there, got all excited cause I saw he got the save today but that just shot that down...boooooo
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:50 am

Titanic Grizzlie wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

agreed
;-D

Everyone already knows what Baez can or cannot do. If he goes back to full time closing again, it's not for showcasing purposes...he's already a known quantity.

The only thing a potential Baez suitor needs to know is that his arm is sound. As far as that goes, they can pitch him in the fifth inning if they want.

I certainly would agree that Baez will probably go back to closing as soon as he's deemed ready to pitch again. But I don't think it's a lock.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers