A neat thing happened today.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A neat thing happened today....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reznorsboy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:39 pm

RynMan wrote:But it still doesn't answer the big question that I can't seem to find an answer for...... HOW can I make my girlfriend like baseball???

Explain the rules!! She will be so impressed that you took the time to explain it that she will try to like it just for you!! And play Barry white in the background :-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:27 am

You know what they say, the younger you get 'em, the easier it is to convert them. We can thank the Der Jungen for that lesson.

Seriously, though, when I was 5 (1983), my dad had me memorize the entire Cardinals WS roster along with lineup, player numbers, and BA. He even got me a Cardinals placemat so that I could "study" while I ate.

The other day, my dad asked me how my fantasy addiction was going...

B-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:43 am

JTWood wrote:Seriously, though, when I was 5 (1983), my dad had me memorize the entire Cardinals WS roster along with lineup, player numbers, and BA. He even got me a Cardinals placemat so that I could "study" while I ate.

That is great. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:18 am

RynMan wrote:But it still doesn't answer the big question that I can't seem to find an answer for...... HOW can I make my girlfriend like baseball???

Do you really want to go down that road? I compare this to teaching your girlfriend or wife about golf. This time is my time and it should be spent withe guys
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:03 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
JTWood wrote:Seriously, though, when I was 5 (1983), my dad had me memorize the entire Cardinals WS roster along with lineup, player numbers, and BA. He even got me a Cardinals placemat so that I could "study" while I ate.

I disagree. I think it's ridiculous to demand, or even expect that of a 5 year old, or any kid. I'm a huge sports fan, but my dad never forced sports on me and I would never do that to my kid.

What's wrong with allowing a kid to develop his own interests?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:01 am

Never an issue with me. Since day 1, my GF knew that if she wanted to spend time with me, it was gonna be with sports on. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:42 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

I disagree. I think it's ridiculous to demand, or even expect that of a 5 year old, or any kid. I'm a huge sports fan, but my dad never forced sports on me and I would never do that to my kid.

What's wrong with allowing a kid to develop his own interests?

You expect too much of a 5-year-old. At that age, my only interest was making my dad proud of me. He liked baseball and the Cardinals and that meant I did, too. I believe that's how it probably is for most children at that age.

And just so you know, it wasn't just the Cardinals or baseball. My dad was big on reading and memorization in general. Thanks to him, I could read at 4 years of age. If he hadn't taught me how to do that, the stuff on that placemat would have just been gibberish. I also had the order of the books of the Bible and the entire "Casey at the Bat" poem (among other things) memorized before kindergarten ever started.

I also learned crude mathematical skills thanks to baseball and my father. I could calculate batting average and ERA when I was about 6 years old.

My dad wasn't forcing baseball on me so much as he was using it as a tool to help me learn. I intend to do the same for my children, too, be it with baseball or some other medium.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:50 pm

StlSluggers wrote:My dad wasn't forcing baseball on me so much as he was using it as a tool to help me learn. I intend to do the same for my children, too, be it with baseball or some other medium.

Then I respectfully rescind my comments. It can definitely be a great learning tool...but when I read it the first time I had this picture in my head of you sitting at the table with your Cardinals placemat and your dad standing over you saying "No! No dessert for you until you tell me Ozzie Smiths slugging percentage last season."
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:57 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:My dad wasn't forcing baseball on me so much as he was using it as a tool to help me learn. I intend to do the same for my children, too, be it with baseball or some other medium.

Then I respectfully rescind my comments. It can definitely be a great learning tool...but when I read it the first time I had this picture in my head of you sitting at the table with your Cardinals placemat and your dad standing over you saying "No! No dessert for you until you tell me Ozzie Smiths slugging percentage last season."

Lol… No, it wasn't like that. It was very much for fun.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:02 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Not to hijack the thread or anything but did you know that Ozzie's son Nikko made it to the top ten in American Idol this year?

Crazy. The kid was really good but was not very outgoing.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk