Tyson loses again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tyson loses again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tyson loses again

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:07 am

Not a shocker, but Mike Tyson lost again tonight. Guy that beat him was a 9-1 underdog though. Tyson "quit" between rounds 6 and 7.

Anyone not care about money and order the fight? How horrible did he look?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:27 am

After the fight, Tyson announced his retirement from boxing...

Sure. He got $5 million to fight a nobody, not prepare for the fight, and quit between the 6th and 7th rounds. Nice money for doing just about nothing. Something tells my this fraud will come back again and again, and keep getting paid by greedy promoters who will AGAIN and AGAIN sell the fight to saps who shell out $50 to watch this clown on pay-per-view. PT Barnum said it best -- There's a sucker born every minute... and Tyson's "believers" are among those who Barnum was speaking of.

Keep in mind I was awed by Tyson when he first emerged as a pro boxer. But he goes down as one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of pro sports.

Just for the record - my favorite fighter of all time was Marvelous Marvin Hagler - a devestating middleweight who took on and destroyed all comers. His pro career ended when he was ROBBED by the judges who gave a decision to my LEAST favorite boxer of all time, that little twerp Sugar Ray Leonard. It was a travesty. Leonard spend the whole fight running away from the Champ. In those days, a champion did NOT lose his belt on points. The deal was, you want the belt, you knock the champ out. And what's worse, Leonard never even hurt Halger, just spent the fight running and dancing and tapping him with little nothing blows, all the while staying away from Hagler's devestating punches. That Leonard was able to avoid Hagler for the whole fight is most impressive -- but it shouldn't have earned him the middleweight belt. But boxing is corrupt and it wiped its feet on Hagler for the more marketable Sugar Ray. (Do I sound bitter?)

Anyway, summing up.... Hagler - Good. Leonard - Bad. Tyson - guttless quitter punk.

Peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:58 am

I'm not a fan of boxing to put it mildly, but there is no way that this is the end of that freak show. He's something like $40million in debt and making these half-assed comebacks is the only way to pay bills like that. I say within six months they'll be promoting the next Tyson comeback. I really don't care one way or the other, but for a sport that seems to lack credibility, Tyson's done -- and will continue to do -- nothing to help that IMO.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:20 am

imo tyson has been retired for about 15 years now..... but yea he looked that bad last night.... i thought tyson was over his head going into this fight, but wow after about the 4th round or so, i knew for sure tyson needed to be in a retirement home somewhere.... after tyson did not get the early round knockout, tyson was basically zapped of his energy and that was all she wrote....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:27 am

Pacman, I don't see how you can call him one of the biggest wastes of talents ever. Come on now, were talking about a guy who knocked out 15 guys in 1985. He's one of the best ever if you ask me. He simply boxxed well after his prime. He stated it last night "my career was over after 1990". In his prime, he couldn't be touched. People get old......
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:01 pm

Tyson was never a good boxer. He was, however a devastating puncher with a pit bull mentality.

There should be a purse that the winner gets. Let them earn their keep in the ring instead of getting the set amont of money signed for before the fight. This woud give them some more motivation and I bet we'd see better boxing as a result.

For the record, Ali is still the Greatest.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:05 pm

He still owes the IRS a ton of money. I hope not but he just might come back down the road.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:25 pm

For his own sake and the sake of the sport I hope he doesn't attempt another come back.

However, the Mike Tyson reality TV show will be entertaining.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:55 pm

As I've said before, everyone has used Mike Tyson, and made money off Mike Tyson except for Mike Tyson. I'm not saying he's the victim, but it's sad to see someone get used as bad as Tyson was.

And, he was one of the best boxers ever. If his original trainer hadn't passed away, and Don King had never met Tyson, I'd say we'd be talking about him with the likes of Ali(in terms of boxing). In his prime, people were beat before they stepped into the ring. They say that Ali was the best at getting in people's heads, but Tyson was the ultimate intimidator IMO.

Well, nowadays there's nobody even as close to as dominant as Tyson was. Boxing needs a superstar badly, or even better, needs two superstars. Don't get me wrong, there are some good boxer's fighting, but EVERYONE inside and outside of sports knew who Tyson was.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pacman » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:56 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Pacman, I don't see how you can call him one of the biggest wastes of talents ever. Come on now, were talking about a guy who knocked out 15 guys in 1985. He's one of the best ever if you ask me. He simply boxxed well after his prime. He stated it last night "my career was over after 1990". In his prime, he couldn't be touched. People get old......

I hear ya, kingctb, and again, I was in awe of the guy in the 80s. But I maintain, a guy THAT good and that young -- should his career essentially have ended after just five years as a pro? He wasn't OLD in 1990. To me that's a waste of talent.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk