Ollie's Smoking - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ollie's Smoking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby djack909 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:02 pm

He's been a great WW pick-up for me. May have to sit him against the Bosox. A while back I watched the Sox hit Mussina and Mussina was throwing good stuff. The Sox are one team that can hit good pitching. Ex-batting champ Mueller is batting 8th. Never let your children pitch agianst the Red Sox.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:31 pm

come on, any sign of life is reason to rejoice! ollie has been so bad and now he's pitching a lot better. i don't even care if it was rays, but i do know he's pitching lights out.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:59 pm

bd3521 wrote:Some teams/players do not play as well on the road. No matter what statistics you have, it's a fact of baseball.

Could very well be true. But it's not something you can judge on 30 games against a non-random selection of teams.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:12 pm

When your 4-29 on the road like Tampa I think the problem is obvious
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:28 pm

Sorry, I'm still seeing this as a good outing against a poor team. I love it for the Pirates, but the trend continues (Cinci, Atlanta are his only other "good" starts).

I'm going to bench him when he pitches against the Sox this week for sure. No way I'm going to take the chance at getting shelled by a top hitting team at home.

If he does well against them, maybe I'll change my mind, but not yet. He's still a matchup start only.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Half Massed » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:45 am

he's really turned it around recently. he's gotten a bunch of wins in a row here pitching better each time. maybe this is the one where he finally finds what he had last season. i'm being optimistic since i'm a fan of his and i have him on multiple leagues, but at the very least its a step in the right direction.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby pangbones » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:48 am

The guy has improved in every game since his "time off". Give the guy a break. I don't care who you're pitching against, when you put up numbers llike he did tonight you got it going on. He will have a huge 2nd half of the season!!
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:06 am

and for any of you that actually WATCHED the game instead of analyizing numbers you would know he PITCHED extremely well. mixing in sliders, throwing good heat (93-95), and throwing strikes to get ahead. it doesnt matter who he faced as long as he did those things well thats all that matters.

he will smoke the sox by the way.....between mannys struggles, ortiz and damon being lefties (ollies slider abused the TB lefties), and ollies resurgence of late, im predicting another very solid performance, hopefully silencing ollie critics for a while at least.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby sammyfan711 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:57 am

Only one walk in Saturday's start is a great sign he is putting it all together. I'll start him against anyone with the grove he is in now.

By the way, for the rest of you that have seen him pitch this year, ever check out the praying mantis? Ollie starts his windup with his knees buckled, almost crouching like a catcher, and lets loose towards the plate. Its a really goofy windup for a guy that has struggled this year with his mechanics. The Pirates annoucers named it that because the last time he did it he was way ahead in the count and was ready to finish off his prey. Both times I've seen him do it this year he's missed badly, but its quite an entertaining motion to watch.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers