Can I get rid of Mota now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can I get rid of Mota now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby onionman1 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:39 pm

I agree with Warrick. Unless Jones has found the Holy Grail, I don't think there's any way he keeps this up. Mota has looked bad since getting back from the DL, but I'm not ready to give up on him quite yet.
onionman1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:31 pm

I disagree with Warrick and Onionman. I think that if you drop him, there is a huge likelihood he'll remain a free agent. If and when he gets the closing gig back, you can scoop him up. It'll take some diligence and attention so you're on top of it, but that's what I have done.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:51 pm

Word to Warrick and Onionman. Mota is just too good a pitcher to be throwing as poorly as he has. Since coming back off the DL, he has had a few good innings and a few terrible ones. I'll give him some more time to work off the rust. If he does, he'll return to the closer job soon, IMO.

I do agree that there's a risk he is still injured and the feud with McKeon doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The bottom line, though, is that you don't drop a guy like Mota, who has shown how good he can be, just because he's been shaky since coming off the DL.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NZF » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:58 pm

If you can spare the roster space then by all means leave him on your bench and hope he gets another shot at closing at some point.

If you have options like Street available in FA then you have to drop him and go with the guy who's getting the save opps. now.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The G-Man » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:02 pm

I dropped Mota for Street a week ago. So far nobody has picked him up.

Between the Marlins recent skid, Mota being in McKeon's doghouse, and Todd Jone's performance I say dump him.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:15 pm

Rlee, that really depends on the situation of your team and the situation of the other teams...as well as the number of bench spots you have. I would rather have Mota than a sixth SP or the last bench OF who I'll never play. I think the potential he has exceeds that of a bench OF, who if dropped, may not even be scooped up, or if picked up, isn't all that much better than others on the WW. Mota has the potential to be a great closer. This guy has put up sick numbers in the past.

If Huston Street is available, though, by all means, pick him up. He'll be solid the rest of the year and is a near lock to close this year and many years to come. I do think that there could be better options on your team to drop than Mota, though.

Jones struck out the side today in a perfect inning. 8-o
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:36 pm

Unfortunately the solid "new" closers are all gone in this league. I was beat out to get Jones when Mota got hurt the first time, and I already have Street. :-) Wagner and Shields are my other RP's.

I suppose I just have to bench him unless I go for a 2 RP = Stud strategy as this is a Roto league. I could try that Crain dude.

I also have Lyon, so if he ever comes back I'll have him to use. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:44 am

warrick95 wrote:Rlee, that really depends on the situation of your team and the situation of the other teams...as well as the number of bench spots you have.

Ayuh. If you're loaded with closers, go ahead and bail. Myself, I'm down to Fuentes (Hawkins meltdown, Lyon DL, Urbina trade). I'll hang for now rather than scrape for a No. 6 SP, but if Lyon doesn't make it back and Mota doesn't turn the corner, I'll eventually have to look at dealing Fuentes and punting in my H2H.

p.s. - I've been reading here for a month or more that Jones can't possibly keep this up. Yet he has shown no evidence to back that gloomy outlook, including striking out the heart of the Rangers' order tonight. Unless he gets hurt or implodes, McKeon would need all his brain cells to dribble out to make that switch. Overall, I'm pessimistic about Mota.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Chuckles » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:48 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Rlee, that really depends on the situation of your team and the situation of the other teams...as well as the number of bench spots you have.

Ayuh. If you're loaded with closers, go ahead and bail. Myself, I'm down to Fuentes (Hawkins meltdown, Lyon DL, Urbina trade). I'll hang for now rather than scrape for a No. 6 SP, but if Lyon doesn't make it back and Mota doesn't turn the corner, I'll eventually have to look at dealing Fuentes and punting in my H2H.

p.s. - I've been reading here for a month or more that Jones can't possibly keep this up. Yet he has shown no evidence to back that gloomy outlook, including striking out the heart of the Rangers' order tonight. Unless he gets hurt or implodes, McKeon would need all his brain cells to dribble out to make that switch. Overall, I'm pessimistic about Mota.

I agree. I almost wonder if he's still hiding an injury. He seemed upfront the last time about it, but his numbers have been TERRIBLE since coming back...2 runs earned in one inning type stuff...he's wearing on my patience!!! :-t
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:52 am

Another 1 IP, 2 ER tonight :-/.
It was on my bench where it didn't hurt, but it's beginning to feel like a wasted roster space.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers