Chipper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

Chipper

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:42 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:ROY
Oh yeah that's right Nomo got it that year instead. We all know how that turned out. :-]
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LooseCannon » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:03 pm

[quote="Pogotheostrich"][/quote]

Lol

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:30 am

Actually, I'm pretty sure he did win the Sporting News Rookie of the Year Award - I remember the Braves folks being ticked that Nomo won the actual award. I'll try to look it up.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 am

Yep - he won TSN's Rookie Player of the Year Award in 1995 for the NL.

See:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/awards/aw_snrp2.shtml
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:26 am

you guys are making it hard for me to decide if a point is awarded or not. :-) :-b

sorry Rance, but i can't give you a point cuz the question was ambiguous and that's against the rules. :-o

everyone agree?

PujolsFan, if you want to award the point yourself, you can do it after the deadline has passed by clicking on the "answer" icon that will show up after a week that you posed the question. ;-D click on the fastest correct answer and if no satisfactory answer has been given, reply to the thread saying so and i'll lock it. thanks. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:32 am

I don't really want to fight, but I don't see how the question was ambiguous. :-?

It asked what award Chipper won in 1995. He only won one award that year.

It is odd that the one who asked the question didn't know when he asked it, but that doesn't make the answer to the question wrong.

I agree that we should award no points when the question-asker is mistaken about the number of things (i.e. 'Name the only TWO players who X, when in fact there were THREE or MORE.) since the question can't possibly be answered correctly. I don't really think that's the case here.

Anyways, just my thought :-)
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:16 am

thanks Rance. ;-D

i interpreted the question as ambiguous because you can think of it in two ways. he asked what chipper won in 95...i imagine most of us would think that he was reffering to MLB official awards...and the NL ROY in 95 was hideo nomo...if he was not reffering to an official MLB award then you are right chipper won the 95 Rookie Player of the Year Award by sporting news, but he also won the Players Choice Award for most outstanding rookie in the NL that year which would give the question two answers.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 am

That's a fair point Kimchi - and you're right, he won two awards that year.

My final argument in favour of me getting the point (then I'll let it drop) is that PujolsFan didn't specify that you needed both awards, indeed he left only one blank with 'award' at the end. My answer would still be technically correct, though there could have been more than one. Mine was certainly the fastest (and only) correct answer.

Anyways, I don't really care one way or the other. I think a more serious problem was Pujols asking a question that he thought there was no answer to. We shouldn't encourage 'trick' questions of that type, because people may spend a long time trying to find an answer. Indeed I had one answer, and Kimchi found another.

Alright, now I've got to figure out some more questions to ask, I'll turn my attention to that!
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:40 am

i agree with you Rance on the point that we shouldn't encourage trick questions. i'm sure PujolsFan didn't have the intention to cause any trouble, but let's use this as an example and try to avoid posting trick questions.

no points will be awarded for this question. i understand that you, Rance, have answered it correctly with one of the two answers, but in previous questions where we have had mistakes by the original poster and the question could be interpreted in more than one way...we did not award any point.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:42 am

sounds good ;-D
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Trivia Time Trial