Hello, Rickie Weeks.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hello, Rickie Weeks....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:22 am

I'm really excited about this move. Additionally, I heard a rumor that the club might call up Prince Fielder for their upcoming interleague games in Toronto and Tampa so he can DH. These are exciting times to be a Brewer fan.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DCNats » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:23 am

Scooter1027 wrote:These are exciting times to be a Brewer fan.

That's the first time I've ever heard/read that statement. :-)
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:17 am

DCNats wrote:

Fair enough. It has been over a decade since it's been exciting, really. But it's just great to have an owner and general manager that actually makes you feel like the team has direction. Unlike the Dean Taylor/Sal Bando/Bud Selig/Wendy Selig-Prieb etc years, every move makes sense. Like today's trade for instance, Spivey for Ohka. Ohka's nothing special, but he's really a very solid pitcher for a #5 starter. He comes in and solidifies the 5 spot and gives the team a rock solid rotation throughout; not a single ERA over 4.00 (Sheets 3.65, Davis 3.68, Capuano 3.40, Santos 2.74, Ohka 3.33). Additionally, you unload Spivey and clear the way for Weeks and/or more PT for Billy Hall and JJ Hardy. It all makes sense.

Oh yeah, I see your handle is DCNats. What did you think of the trade?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DCNats » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:33 am

Scooter1027 wrote:
DCNats wrote:

Fair enough. It has been over a decade since it's been exciting, really. But it's just great to have an owner and general manager that actually makes you feel like the team has direction. Unlike the Dean Taylor/Sal Bando/Bud Selig/Wendy Selig-Prieb etc years, every move makes sense. Like today's trade for instance, Spivey for Ohka. Ohka's nothing special, but he's really a very solid pitcher for a #5 starter. He comes in and solidifies the 5 spot and gives the team a rock solid rotation throughout; not a single ERA over 4.00 (Sheets 3.65, Davis 3.68, Capuano 3.40, Santos 2.74, Ohka 3.33). Additionally, you unload Spivey and clear the way for Weeks and/or more PT for Billy Hall and JJ Hardy. It all makes sense.

Oh yeah, I see your handle is DCNats. What did you think of the trade?

I guess they had to get rid of Ohka, but I'm not thrilled about getting Spivey for him. Not a huge deal though...I'm much more excited about Weeks coming up for my fantasy team than I am about any potential benefits the Nats will receive from this deal. Good deal for the Brewers though.

I was just joking around with the comment about your Brew Crew. I've got lots of respect for die-hard fans of smaller market teams that haven't been successful recently. You appear to fall into that category. ;-D
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:43 am

It's easy to root for a team when they are loaded with great young talent.

Try watching a below .500 old team with a trash heap of a farm system :-/ , a Hall of Famer that even non-baseball fans dislike, and a former Cy Young contender that is clearly pitching hurt. Oh yeah, you haven't had a first round draft pick in two years either.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jredmore » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:53 am

How do you reckon Weeks will compare to someone like Iguchi?
jredmore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pablo975 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:48 am

That's what I'm waiting to see. I dropped an extra pitcher for Weeks today and I drafted Iguchi (nothing else left).

I really think Weeks rips it up once he starts full time. Iguchi hasn't been horrible, but he hasn't been the machine his Japanese numbers indicated, though few Japanese players ever are. I think the style of the game and the societal barriers make it tougher for Iguchi to adjust than Weeks. I know AAA is far removed from the big leagues, but at least Weeks is still in his native country, playing the same type of ball, and speaking the same language....

And for those wondering about hype, if a minor leaguer deserves some hype, it's Weeks. He ripped in college, ripped as a rookie, had an off year, and is back to ripping again. A little hype is due him.

And...is it hype if the numbers back it up? If someone just says "Jay Gibbons is about to go nuts, hit 55 HRs the rest of the year and win the MVP!"....I call that hype. I call the talk about Weeks accurate reporting and making a safe conclusion. If Weeks doesn't kill the ball this year, it'll happen as soon as he adjusts to big league ball.

Now, if Derek Jeter will just have a freakish ceiling fan accident that cuts his arms off, moving ARod back to SS permanently, my IF will be unfreakin holy for the next few years. VMart, Tex, Weeks, ARod, ARam.....I can only pray..... :-D

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Webster11 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:33 pm

Hes making his debut on saturday, the one day of the week mlb.tv wont show games :-/
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Webster11 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:40 pm

Webster11 wrote:Hes making his debut on saturday, the one day of the week mlb.tv wont show games :-/

my bad i guess it isnt his debut, he came up for a few games last year that i forgot about, but i still would have liked to see him play
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dundeeslugger » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:41 pm

How about dropping C. Guillen for Weeks?

Guillen is frustrating me. His bad knee kept him out atleast 2 days a week and then he pulls a hammy in his other leg keeping him out even more. He's obviously not going to be healthy this year.

10 team 5x5 roto league 3 keeper
22 starters (9 pitchers) 2 reserve
c J. Posada J. Phillips 1 M. Teixiera 2 M. Giles 3 E. Chavez
ss J. Rollins of P. Feliz, V. Wells, Beltran, K Mench C. Floyd, Utility B. Clark, McPherson sp C. Capauno, C. Lee C. Carpenter, R. Halladay, R. Oswalt, J. Schmidt, Fuentes, B. Looper, K-Rod
Reserve - C. Guillen, Patterson
Injured - E. Bedard,
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers