If Guardado Gets Traded... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If Guardado Gets Traded...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:10 pm

The only teams that would trade for him are: BALTIMORE, ARIZONA, SAN FRANCISCO. I highly doubt he'll get traded to the O's. I doubt if he'll get traded all together. M's are only 7 games back.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:22 pm

stumpak wrote:As a lefty, it is quite likely that Guardado is a set-up guy if he gets traded.

Sucks to that. They didnt call him Everyday Eddie for nothing. Nobody buts Eddie in the corner.

And if you cant tell, I'm an Eddie owner. :-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gws226 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:50 pm

eftda wrote:The only teams that would trade for him are: BALTIMORE, ARIZONA, SAN FRANCISCO. I highly doubt he'll get traded to the O's. I doubt if he'll get traded all together. M's are only 7 games back.

Why do the O's need him? BJ has been solid, and Julio is already a proven backup closer.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:05 pm

Eddie's value will plummet if he gets dealt. No way any Guardado owner would want him pitching outside pitcher heaven Safeco.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:57 am

He was pretty good when he pitched for the twins in the Metrodome...
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby eftda » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:26 am

gws226 wrote:
eftda wrote:The only teams that would trade for him are: BALTIMORE, ARIZONA, SAN FRANCISCO. I highly doubt he'll get traded to the O's. I doubt if he'll get traded all together. M's are only 7 games back.

Why do the O's need him? BJ has been solid, and Julio is already a proven backup closer.

Ryan and Julio are being over worked and will run out of gas sooner or later.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: If Guardado Gets Traded...

Postby thehat » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:36 am

benjapage wrote:cbs reports:
LATEST NEWS
Closer Eddie Guardado hasn't allowed a run in his past 11 innings, converting all nine save opportunities during that stretch.
(Updated 06/09/2005).
FANTASY ANALYSIS
Guardado is one of the better closers on the trade market right now. If he gets dealt to be a closer for a contender, a now-healthy Everyday Eddie's Fantasy value will rocket.

should this speculation suddenly be realized, who would take over closing duties in seattle? putz? rafael soriano?

b

First of all, here's more proof positive that way too many of these fantasy "experts" have zero clue. If he were to be traded to another team as a closer, his value would remain right where it is. Anyone who knows even a little bit about this game should realize that closer value generally doesn't have a great deal to do with the team he's on.

As for the closer in waiting in Seattle, it was Putz based on his success in the role last season. Whether or not it still is I sure don't know positively, but I would at least make Putz the favorite.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: If Guardado Gets Traded...

Postby eftda » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:38 am

thehat wrote:
benjapage wrote:cbs reports:
LATEST NEWS
Closer Eddie Guardado hasn't allowed a run in his past 11 innings, converting all nine save opportunities during that stretch.
(Updated 06/09/2005).
FANTASY ANALYSIS
Guardado is one of the better closers on the trade market right now. If he gets dealt to be a closer for a contender, a now-healthy Everyday Eddie's Fantasy value will rocket.

should this speculation suddenly be realized, who would take over closing duties in seattle? putz? rafael soriano?

b

First of all, here's more proof positive that way too many of these fantasy "experts" have zero clue. If he were to be traded to another team as a closer, his value would remain right where it is. Anyone who knows even a little bit about this game should realize that closer value generally doesn't have a great deal to do with the team he's on.

As for the closer in waiting in Seattle, it was Putz based on his success in the role last season. Whether or not it still is I sure don't know positively, but I would at least make Putz the favorite.

Just Remember Troy Percival. His value did go down a bit. ;-7
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:49 am

Um, be wary of annointing Putz at this point. He was Melvin's guy last year, and succeeded beyond anyone's expectations when thrown into the closer's job late in the year.
However, Hargrove does not seem as enamored. Putz started as a set-up guy this spring, but was clearly demoted after several consecutive rocky outings. While he's pitched cleanly his last couple appearances, he hasn't been thrown out there with the game on the line.
He could still play his way back into position to close, but it's far from a sure thing. And I'd be leery of Soriano fresh back from Tommy John work, even if he is ahead of schedule (could be available right after the break, best-case). I like him for '06, however.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thehat » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:57 am

Percival's value has declined because he can't stay healthy. Had he not gone south with the injury, he'd be well into double figures already.

The point is that good closers will get their saves, regardless of where they are pitching. Take Guardado, for instance. Last time I checked, the Mariners were still a lousy team. But Guardado is tied for the major league lead in saves.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers