Spyware - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Spyware

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spyware

Postby Howie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:19 pm

How do i get rid of this pest?? I run ad-aware, etc, but everytime i turn on my computer, i still get ridik adds for smileys and other stuff i would never want. Any suggestions? !+)
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:33 pm

Try going to http://www.trendmicro.com and running their scanning program, it's one of the best freewares you'll find. It's a start at least. If that doesn't work, there are other programs out there. You could also start a new user profile on you machine, it's easy but you might not have to do it.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:52 pm

Spysweeper is really good..you can get a 30 day demo from the website...do a google search. anyways thats what I'd use
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:03 pm

MS AntiSpyware has done a great job on my PC.

Switching to Firefox for you browser would help too.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:35 pm

you should try this forum for help.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

they have lots of info there and it was the only way i could get rid of the spyware thingy from my computer....and they tell you how to protect your computer from now on. read some of the threads and if you still aren't able to get rid of it, someone will help you out.

here's a good place to start reading...

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=23382

good luck. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:13 am

Spybot, Ad-Aware, Stinger, a firewall, and Hijack This do a solid job for me. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:31 am

Madison wrote:Spybot, Ad-Aware, Stinger, a firewall, and Hijack This do a solid job for me. ;-D

I've heard that Hijack This is pretty nuts...I almost used it once, but the disclaimers on the site that said "may delete important files from your computer" scared me away... :-o
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:43 am

WharfRat wrote:
Madison wrote:Spybot, Ad-Aware, Stinger, a firewall, and Hijack This do a solid job for me. ;-D

I've heard that Hijack This is pretty nuts...I almost used it once, but the disclaimers on the site that said "may delete important files from your computer" scared me away... :-o

It hasn't deleted anything of mine that I didn't want it to delete. It searches the computer and brings everything up that could be a problem. It's up to the user to decide what to delete and what not to delete. If you don't have any idea about computers, then this program is not something I'd recommend though. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:58 am

Madison wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

It hasn't deleted anything of mine that I didn't want it to delete. It searches the computer and brings everything up that could be a problem. It's up to the user to decide what to delete and what not to delete. If you don't have any idea about computers, then this program is not something I'd recommend though. :-D

I've used it and it is very good. Plus there are some online FAQ that help people who aren't computer savvy know what to keep and what to get rid of. As long as you don't run it and start clicking on things to remove without realizing what they do you will be alright. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:21 pm

WharfRat wrote:

it doesn't delete anything unless you ask it to delete a file...but you know how people are, right? they just love to click away and delete stuff thinking it will solve their problems... :-o i know...i'm like that. ;-D

about a year ago i was playing around with hijack this and started to delete stuff i had no idea what was used for...i deleted so much stuff that windows wouldn't even load anymore... !+)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Next

Return to General Talk