Mantei and Koplove both go on the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mantei and Koplove both go on the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mantei and Koplove both go on the DL

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:13 pm

Mantei was placed on the 15 day DL. The crazy thing is that Koplove is also now also gone on the DL with shoulder tendinitis. Everyone assumed that if Mantei went down, Koplove would be the temporary closer. Think the DBacks regret trading Kim away already?

Does anyone know who the likely replacement closer will be for the DBacks? Villareal, Myers, Service? Are any of them worth picking up when I put Mantei on the DL or am I better off just getting another starting pitcher or another bat for now?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby R-Tehst » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:32 pm

ru kiding me? whered u find out about this?
R-Tehst
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:33 pm

Here's what it says on RotoWorld.com:

Matt Mantei - R - Arizona Diamondbacks Jun 1

Diamondbacks placed RHP Matt Mantei on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 28, with a sprained right shoulder.
The Diamondbacks will just have to hope Mantei doesn't miss more than the minimum. Count on the closer returning in mid-June, but don't be surprised if the shoulder remains a problem all season long.
Mike Koplove - R - Arizona Diamondbacks Jun 1

Diamondbacks placed RHP Mike Koplove on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 28, with right shoulder tendinitis.
When combined with the loss of Matt Mantei, this is very tough blow. Koplove figured to get save chances while Mantei was out, but now they could go to just about anyone. Oscar Villarreal and Mike Myers are the best bets. Even Scott Service is a possibility.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby R-Tehst » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:43 pm

lol, that sucks. I donno what to do with koplove now. Villareal will probably get most of the chances, but who knows.
R-Tehst
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:55 pm

In a mixed league, I'd just dump Koplove because he probably will be back at the same time as Mantei anyway. Tonight, they put Villarreal in for the 6th inning, so they obviously aren't holding him back for save chances.

I am thinking that I will just have to add a solid middle reliever like Hasegawa or reclaim Sabathia off waivers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:02 pm

To make matters even more amusing for the DBacks, in tonight's game, Dellucci got a concussion and Cintron pulled his hamstring. 4 players lost in one day, that has to be a record.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:21 pm

i have mantei, and kim just got dropped. should i drop alfonso and pick up kim and f german ( i have blalock and batista at 3rd and i can drop an empty when mantei becomes dl eligible)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:24 pm

Pick up Kim immeadiately. He will be either a starter or a closer, but will be excellent for your fantasy team whatever he winds up doing. I don't know if I'd want to mess with German right now, because he tends to get lit up alot and has erratic control. Combine that with the fact that he plays for such a terrible team that his limited save chances might not help you enough to offset the risk he carries.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cardinals15 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:40 pm

Jose Valverde according to the inside pitch. I'm skeptical, but after they nailed Rocky Biddle before anybody in their right mind would ever think Rocky Biddle would be Montreal's closer, I won't doubt them again for awhile.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:46 pm

Valverde did come in in the 9th yesterday and give up 2 runs to the Padres. (it was a 10-2 game I believe). And, unfortunately, he's not even available in Yahoo leagues yet.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers