Interesting Question...Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting Question...Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting Question...Help

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:29 pm

Does anyone know who the richest owners in baseball are? Not the payrolls of the teams, just the owners who are the richest, even if they don't spend it on their team.

Is there a site that has this type of information?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:32 pm

I can tell you one thing...it's NOT Frank McCourt.

:-°

I'm pretty sure that guy is on welfare.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yanks#27 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:47 pm

A couple of months ago I read in the N.Y. Daily news that the Yankees had the second largest worth, $1.something billion, Manchester United came first. So you can count George as one of them.
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:39 pm

I can assure you that Ted Rogers, the local TV/cable/internet magnate, is right up there. Case in point, he makes almost $100 off just me alone every month. :*) Multiply that by roughly the population of Toronto..

Renaming the Skydome 'Rogers Centre' is just the latest step towards Ted pretty much taking over the city. But judging by the Blue Jays payroll, you can pretty much figure out where the Jays fit into the scheme of his empire.. :-/
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:46 pm

Interesting you ask that, I've wondered that myself but have never bothered to find out. A list of baseball owners is here: http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2002/0415/092add2.html, so it might be worth trying to track them down on a case-by-case basis. Could take a while though.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:49 pm

The guy that owns the Mariners, and Nintendo, has to be pretty freaking rich. He may not give a crap about his baseball team, but he's rich nonetheless.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:46 pm

When this thread was started, I wrote to the guy who runs http://www.UnitedStatesofBaseball.com, which is a pretty neat site. Peter Handrinos writes more than I ever thought was possible about a variety of baseball-related topics, the site is worth checking out. He seems pretty insightful.

But anyway, I asked him what his thoughts were about getting this information. Here's what he had to say:

Pete from the US of B wrote:
I’ve been kind of pressed for time lately, so I’ll try to give you a more complete, better answer in one of my ‘The Readers Write’ columns within the next couple of weeks.

You can get estimates on owners’ personal fortunes through sources like Fortune and Forbes, or through Lexis/Nexis searches on past profiles. However, that kind of personal info is very sensitive, and owners have no obligations to disclose them to the public. Only their accountants, or butlers perhaps, know exactly how much they’re worth at any given moment.

In general, MLB owners carry far less personal worth than NFL owners, if only because NFL owners need so much money to buy up lucrative football teams.

On the larger issue of whether this makes a difference to ballclubs (which is where I assumed this was going), he said this:

Your larger point seems to be misplaced, however. MLB, far more than any other major sport, allows teams to rise and fall based on their on- and off-field investments. I can’t see how an owner would be dumb enough to prop up a money loser over any length of time, or drain a money-making franchise over the long term. To be sure, there’s always been talk that kindly old Ewing Kauffman or mean old Frank McCourt either stuffed money into the their teams, or drained it out, based on their personal, off-field inclinations. However, I can’t see how those kind of unconfirmed rumors can possibly be true according to the fundamental self interests. In general, baseball franchises, like all stand-alone businesses, have to make it on their own merits.

Long story short- competitive balance and owners’ personal fortunes are two different subjects. As you might know, I try to take on the former through the Pirates ex. In ‘Fire Kevin McClatchy’.

Thoughts? I'll keep an eye out for the Readers' Write column he mentioned.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Box » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:09 pm

Ted Turner has a net worth around 5 billion. ;-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager