Moneyball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Moneyball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:55 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Moneyball is an entertaining glimpse into how the A's are run. It's a fun book to read, and it helps to open the mind of the casual baseball fan. Who knows? Maybe it'll even get you interested in sabermetrics...

8-o

That being said, nothing in the book should be taken as gospel. It was written as a story...and it delivers. But yeah, I'd recommend checking it out. It's fun.

Agreed.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:06 am

I went to buy "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" today but they were out of copies so I picked up "Moneyball". I've always had an interest in the general managing of a baseball team, and is something I have considered looking at as a future profession, in some way shape or form.

I just started it a little while ago and it's been good so far... ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby AT » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:23 am

I really enjoyed the book. I read it a few months ago and it really opened my eyes to the way players are evaluated and how a small market team is/should be run. Keep in mind that obviously Michael Lewis is trying to sell a book and he fluffs up the A's and Beane too much but it's a great read and will open you up to new ways of thinking about the game. It changed the way I think about the game, view/evaluate players, and how I watch it. Still waiting to hear from that fat boy Jeremy Brown however...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Arlo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:43 am

Love it or hate it (and I think a lot of people base their feelings on their love or hate of sabermetrics in general), it's the most important baseball book in a long, long time. Definitely a must-read.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk