New NHL Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New NHL Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:58 pm

BigMusky wrote:I think that if the Hockey moved its season from the end of Basketball to the beginning part of baseball that it would do much better. Then they could get rid of the WNBA. ;-D

I think hockey would do much better if its playoffs weren't twice as long as its regular season. Well, that's how they feel, at least.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:04 pm

Tag up rule ;-D
No red line ;-D ;-D
Smaller goalie equipment ;-D ;-D ;-D

They are testing them all out now at a camp where they are playing simulated games with the new rules and the crazy new net.

The one rule that I really would like to see tried out is full time 4 on 4. That would really open up the offence and kill the NZ trap.

The NHL is the only major sport not to undergo any major rule changes in the past 50 years. Every other sport has adapted to the better conditioned athlete and the new technology in their sport except for hockey and IMO the game has stagnated and gotten a little boring. Don't get me wrong hockey still kicks butt and the the best spectator sport in the world but the NHL is starting to suck.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RyanK » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:17 pm

Im glad they brought back the tag up, in a way it helps get rid of the trap, they cant clog the blue line to get a whistle.

What i think really needs to happen is a contraction, too many teams are in places that just dont draw fans, be it lack of marketing, poor managment, bad team, or just location.

The NHL definatly needs to market its self more, you see faimiliar baseball and football players on tv alot, why not get Jeremy Roenick, Lemuiex, Sakic out doing commercials and things like that.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:27 pm

Being a Canadian I could care less about the NHL growing, marketing and being popular in the States.

I don't care if a few teams contract and Roenick never gets his own breakfast cereal. I just want to see the game open up a little more with more skating and playmaking and less obstruction.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:31 pm

I am a big time hockey fan and am a traditionalist, however, I think these new rules need to occur. Let's face it, no one likes hockey and in order to get the casual fan to watch, they need to market it for them.

In the 80s the NBA introduced the 3 point line and people were up in arms, now nobody thinks about it and it is just a part of the game. Same with the 24 second clock.

In baseball they raised the mound after Bob Gibson dominated. People were upset then, but now its just another thing, nobody cares. The DH rule, well I dont think I can say people ignore this part of the game :-° .

The point is, in 10 years people won't even remember what it was like before and will enjoy the sport for what it is.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:46 pm

wrveres wrote:what is the NHL?

Nice Horsey League?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:05 pm

I agree red line must go. I also vote for a bigger net. Players are bigger, goalies are bigger, equipment is bigger
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:06 pm

The problem with the NBA is that they don't enforce the rules correctly. IMO there's nothing wrong with the rules themselves.

I don't agree with the NBA comparisons for these rule changes. I want the game to open up more and be played at a faster pace. These changes seem like a move in the right direction.

And I'm all for shootouts. I hate ties. If I had it my way they'd just keep playing sudden death OTs. }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:09 pm

Amazinz wrote:And I'm all for shootouts. I hate ties. If I had it my way they'd just keep playing sudden death OTs. }:-)

That's probably the biggest reason I don't watch hockey. I hate tie games. :-/

If they do away with that, I might actually start watching.......that is, if there ever is hockey again. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:15 pm

you know what cracks me up about hockey?

Is that Tampa Bay is still the world champs ...

Tampa fricking Bay.

The only ice there is in the Mai Tai's
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

PreviousNext