New NHL Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New NHL Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New NHL Rules

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:53 pm

Interesting article on CNNSI about some things they want to implement. Sounds like they will be creating another NBA...just on ice :-t I know Hockey has its own forum...but I am scared of ghost towns 8-o

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/h ... index.html
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:02 pm

What the hell is tag-up offsides?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:09 pm

StlSluggers wrote:What the hell is tag-up offsides?

Tag=up offside is the way that offside was called for the 80's and half onf the 90's.

When the puck enters the zone and a player is offside, the players that are offside can clear the zone and the offside is voided and the whistle is not blown. They all have to clear the zone without touching the puck. If they do so then they can re-enter the zone and go after the puck. I hope this helps.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:12 pm

Red line needs to go. I'm sorry, but I think it slows down the game and makes it far less entertaining.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:24 pm

what is the NHL?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:27 pm

reznorsboy wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:What the hell is tag-up offsides?

Tag=up offside is the way that offside was called for the 80's and half onf the 90's.

When the puck enters the zone and a player is offside, the players that are offside can clear the zone and the offside is voided and the whistle is not blown. They all have to clear the zone without touching the puck. If they do so then they can re-enter the zone and go after the puck. I hope this helps.

So instead of the whole team having to clear the zone, only the offending players have to clear? I'm assuming that they can't touch the puck or the offsides is blown, right?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:30 pm

The thing I don't get is that Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and I find it boring compared to hockey. Soccer has games that end 0-0 1-0 and 2-1 all the time and no one complains. Hockey is much more fast paced and exciting than soccer. I think the problem was that in the 80's the goaltending sucked crap. People became accustom to all the scoring. Well now the goalies are some of the best athletes on any team and that is why scoring is down. I think the games we are seing now are better than the 8-5 barn burners of the 80's. I wish they would stop screwing with the rules which cheapens the game in my opinion. Hockey is not Basketball and it never will be.

Hockey is fine the way it is. Goalie's are better than they have ever been and the games are just gonna be low scoring. So what that doens't take away from the skill level of the players. I think people just need to get used to the lower scoring the same way people got used to more HR's and higher ERA in the MLB.

And your right the Hockey Cafe is a ghost town right now so I hope Hammy takes that into consideration.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:32 pm

reznorsboy wrote:The thing I don't get is that Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and I find it boring compared to hockey.

Soccer is by far the most mind-numbing, popular sport that there is. Did you ever see that Simpsons where they were watching soccer? The players were just standing there passing the ball back-and-forth to each other. Priceless...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:44 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
So instead of the whole team having to clear the zone, only the offending players have to clear? I'm assuming that they can't touch the puck or the offsides is blown, right?

As long as the zone is clear of the attacking teams players then the whistle will not blow. The big difference is that with the current rule the whistle will blow if the puck is in the zone too long. The whole purpose of getting rid of the Tag-up rule was that it caused too many dump ins. They wanted to encourage teams to have to make some plays to get the puck deep instead of dumping it in.

So if the Tag-up system comes back it will mean less whistles. This is because you can dump the puck in regardless if you have players off side or not and if they clear the zone then the whistle doesn't go and they can re-enter the zone to go after the puck.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:54 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:The thing I don't get is that Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and I find it boring compared to hockey.

Soccer is by far the most mind-numbing, popular sport that there is. Did you ever see that Simpsons where they were watching soccer? The players were just standing there passing the ball back-and-forth to each other. Priceless...

Soccer is kind of interesting if you understand the game beyond kicking a ball around at the goal. It is the same kind of entertainment when you see a pitching duel in baseball. I do agree though that a low scoring hockey game is way better then a low scoring soccer game. I think the real problem with the reason why Hockey is under appreciated is because it competes with basketball. The NBA draws in alot of the casual fan because there is almost no strategy to understand. It appeals to more people. I think that if the Hockey moved its season from the end of Basketball to the beginning part of baseball that it would do much better. Then they could get rid of the WNBA. ;-D
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk