Aaron Hill - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aaron Hill

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aaron Hill

Postby wannabthechamp » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:37 am

What's your opinion on this guy? When he was called up, CBS Sportsline had an article that I thought was interesting, they thought he could produce quite a bit...Well, so far, he has 17 RBI's in 65 at bats and he's hitting .338. I'm thinking about picking him up as my backup 3Bman...will he continue to produce?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:02 am

Hard to say. He had a couple of really good weeks since koskie went out but he's been cooling off on the Jay's current roadtrip. He's a good prospect but won't put up amazing numbers from here on out. I'd only pick him up in deep AL leauges.
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 40)

Postby RC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:27 am

He's a big-league hitter that teams are on to, so he'll face some tough pitching from here on out.

When Coskie comes back, he could play more SS, depending on what Russ Adams is doing, but the front office is taking the approach that someone else may very well be injured by then and they'll still need the bat.

He good insurance with guys like Hillebrand on the team. If he cools off, as usual, Hill can get more time at 3B/DH.

If you have room, you could pick him up and ride the current production and play wait and see over the rest of the season. But I wouldn't drop a bonafide starter for him just yet. Not enough security with regards to the amount of playing time to warrant that.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:44 am

When Koskie comes back, I'm not sure what that means in terms of who will get playing time going forward, or whether Hill necessarily stays up with the team. Assuming no other injuries, Koskie/Hillebrand/Hinske would necessarily be the starters at 3B/1B/DH. I'm not sure Hill takes over from Adams at SS because Adams got there first so to speak, and he's also a 1st round pick himself and is very good defensively. I'm sure the Jays don't want either of those guys to be sitting for extended periods, and would probably rather have Hill playing full-time in Syracuse than getting limited playing time with the big team. Keeping Hill around would also create a huge log-jam with their bench--one thing all the Jays announcers say is great about John Gibbons and why he has good control of the locker room is the way he manages to get his top bench guys (like McDonald, Menechino, Re.Johnson) a fair bit of playing time every week (notice all three of them started the last two nights v. lefties), having another guy around like Hill would really complicate this. I can't say for sure, but my gut instinct is that Hill eventually gets sent back down to Syracuse, barring any further injuries. He should probably be full-time with the Jays by next year, though.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:24 am

I've got to say that I'm really impressed with this guy. He is a great hitter and last night with a man on third with one out and two strikes against him he did a great job hitting a curve on the ground to the right side to drive in the run. Very patient hitter with a good eye.

That said, in an interview last night he said that he doesn't remember his firt ML AB and feels like this is all a dream for him. Once it all sinks in and he hits his first dry patch he may run into some trouble.

He's a good fill in but once Koskie comes back Hill will be seeing a lot of the bench. Russ Adams has to play, he's their ss of the future and he won't sit much.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby RC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:27 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I've got to say that I'm really impressed with this guy. He is a great hitter and last night with a man on third with one out and two strikes against him he did a great job hitting a curve on the ground to the right side to drive in the run. Very patient hitter with a good eye.

That said, in an interview last night he said that he doesn't remember his firt ML AB and feels like this is all a dream for him. Once it all sinks in and he hits his first dry patch he may run into some trouble.

He's a good fill in but once Koskie comes back Hill will be seeing a lot of the bench. Russ Adams has to play, he's their ss of the future and he won't sit much.

It's been suggested around here that Adams is short-term until they deem Hill ready for the majors.

I don't think they'll let either him or Adams sit, but if they're buyers at the deadline, maybe one of them moves?

We'll see.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers