Is Hudson's ERA a fluke? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Hudson's ERA a fluke?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:23 am

Per rotoworld

Tim Hudson – Over the last month, Hudson has a 4.06 ERA and just 20 K in 37.2 innings. However, take out his starts against Boston, St. Louis, Philly, and Colorado (at Coors), and he’s only given up 10 earned runs in nine starts.

It does make a lot sense......
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:50 am

I always thought he was overrated but followed the hype and now I'm paying for it in my points league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:17 pm

he's a solid pitcher, the high whip will down i think. just wait for the mazzone magic to catch on ;-D .
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TB13 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:21 pm

gws226 wrote:Per rotoworld

Tim Hudson – Over the last month, Hudson has a 4.06 ERA and just 20 K in 37.2 innings. However, take out his starts against Boston, St. Louis, Philly, and Colorado (at Coors), and he’s only given up 10 earned runs in nine starts.

Sure it makes sense. HOWEVER, one cannot just ignore his starts in Philly & St. Louis. Colarado one can overlook. Even Boston, whom he does not figure to face much. But Philly & St. Louis? Can't look past them. He'll pitch in Philly quite a bit more and figures to have another start or two against the Cards. THe latter, he will face again and again.
Hudson's bread and butter is his sinker. That's why he has managed to keep a respectable ERA. He put the runners on base, and then used the sinker to bail him out with a double play.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:17 pm

TB13 wrote:
gws226 wrote:Per rotoworld

Sure it makes sense. HOWEVER, one cannot just ignore his starts in Philly & St. Louis. Colarado one can overlook. Even Boston, whom he does not figure to face much. But Philly & St. Louis? Can't look past them. He'll pitch in Philly quite a bit more and figures to have another start or two against the Cards. THe latter, he will face again and again.
Hudson's bread and butter is his sinker. That's why he has managed to keep a respectable ERA. He put the runners on base, and then used the sinker to bail him out with a double play.

nail on the head there TB.....the double play. in the games ive watched of his (all but boston/colorado.... working :~( ) he is a great situational pitcher, able to get a K when he really needs it, or more importantly, the double play ball. with a solid defense behind him, he can get out of a lot of jams. on the flipside of the coin hwoever, it almost seems like he doesnt turn it on until people get on base. if he would just put his game face on for every pitch (see pedro) he would be dominant (2.50 or less era) again.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers