Will the Yankees ever sacrifice bunt?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Yankees ever sacrifice bunt??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the Yankees ever sacrifice bunt??

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:14 pm

This is rediculous for a few years now that the Yanks haven't been as good as they should I've been getting ticked at Torre for not bunting people over..

last night again he doesn't bunt someone over with no outs man on first and cano up...

its rediculous.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:17 pm

The Yanks need to sacrifice Torre
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:29 pm

I dont think anybody on the Yanks knows how to bunt
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nmarq8 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:30 pm

Cano tried on his own last night in the ninth with their leadoff hitter, williams, on first. Turnbow threw one in the dirt, williams got to second, and cano tried to lay one down again. Then sojo talked to cano and he started swinging away. The commentators thought cano's attempt at bunting was his own doing and sojo told him not to.

reznorsboy wrote:The Yanks need to sacrifice Torre

I don't know of anyone who would put up with the boss' sh** quite like torre does.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jayman » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:01 pm

They did last season with a two run lead against the BOSOX.
Jeter bunted Cairo over and left up to AROD to hit a POP UP to Manny to drive in an insurance run....... AROD CHOKED.

So, no, no sacrafices :-D
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:09 pm

There's a guy named Womack who is pretty good at bunting, from what I hear. Let's not forget, this is the AL, different style of play. Although I wish it were the NL, I hate the DH, if a guy can't play the field then too bad. But that's another thread altogether.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:10 pm

I personally think sac bunting on a team like the Yankees is just flat out stupid. For one, you have a pitching staff who could allow ten more runs after you go up 1-0. For another, you have enough hitting to choke a mule. It doesn't make sense 90% of the time for most teams, and it makes even less sense for the Yankees.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:12 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:I personally think sac bunting on a team like the Yankees is just flat out stupid. For one, you have a pitching staff who could allow ten more runs after you go up 1-0. For another, you have enough hitting to choke a mule. It doesn't make sense 90% of the time for most teams, and it makes even less sense for the Yankees.

WEll in the bottom of the ninth with a man on second and no outs down by one you bunt...thats the rule ... no exceptions...especially with you 8 batter up...its rediculous
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:
ocmusicjunkie wrote:I personally think sac bunting on a team like the Yankees is just flat out stupid. For one, you have a pitching staff who could allow ten more runs after you go up 1-0. For another, you have enough hitting to choke a mule. It doesn't make sense 90% of the time for most teams, and it makes even less sense for the Yankees.

WEll in the bottom of the ninth with a man on second and no outs down by one you bunt...thats the rule ... no exceptions...especially with you 8 batter up...its rediculous

First, I don't think it's ever smart to bunt to third... I don't care the situation. Even if I did, you bunt even when most of your players don't have the experience bunting to be sure they can succeed?
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Sorry, acsguitar. I'm mostly a fan of your Yankees opinions but you're off on this one and so are a couple more people here. There is no such thing as a rookie (Cano especially) bunting on his own in the 9th inning down by 1. Torre gave him the signal, it's obvious. Second, when the hell do you bunt a guy over from 2nd to 3rd with Nobody out down by 1? You're wasting an out, and thus a chance to drive him in on a single where he may not get to third anyway if the bunt is bad. I say with a runner on 2nd and 0 out, down 1 on the road you swing away and try to not only tie the game, but maybe get something going and take the lead. Especially with the top of the order coming up. Sojo probably told him to stop trying to bunt since Williams got into scoring position on his own on the wild pitch. I have no problem with that...

Torre's management of the bullpen and the lineup this season is a completely different issue and when I think about it, it makes me... :-P .... Yepp there I go again throwing up in my mouth.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers